Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Celeste still has small figs, should I remove them

Posted by med10533 8b SE La (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 16, 10 at 21:58

Hi all,

I've been lurking for years now and I thought I'd ask a question finally.

Our weather is now dipping into the high 40's at night and my Celeste has lost quite a few of it's leaves, but is still holding onto about 2 dozen marble sized fruit from it's 2nd crop. Should I pull these off to conserve the plants energy or just let the tree decide what to do.

This was it's 2nd full year in the ground

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Celeste still has small figs, should I remove them

I have the same problem on my Italian Figs I don't think we have enough time for these little one to ripen unless off course you live in California or Arizona.

o

I'm wondering too. My Celeste started to produce a few more figlets about a week ago. I'm in south florida, but still, wondering if I should take them off. I hope somebody who knows jumps in here.

Terri

o

Terrisofla, figs in South Florida are sleepwalking most of the year, by that I mean that the lack of chilling hours somewhat discombabulates these trees. I would give the tree a light water soluble fertilizer soaking and repeat in week, then see if it pushes some leaves and new growth out to support and ripen the fruit. If your tree is getting bare of leaves, it will not support any edible fruit.

Best of luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here