Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonathan_gw

Anyone Have An Experience with Lattarula Fig (Itailian Honey)

jonathan
17 years ago

Anyone have any experience they would like to share regarding Lattarula? Is it a good fig, and when does the crop tend to ripen for you?

http://www.paradisenursery.com/itgolhonfig.html

Comments (13)

• gorgi
    17 years ago

I do have a fig specimen bought (~2002?) as/and still labeled
    as an Italian Honey. Do not remember its source, but it
    was not Paradise Nursery. Has been a very slow grower
    and hard to propagate for me. For the first time, it
    has one single 1"+ figlet that I am not sure will ripen
    in time. It has a long neck and it looks very different
    from my (EL) Marseilles...
    George (NJ).

• stevec
    17 years ago

I have an IH (2yr tree in container) & I harvested quite a few breba and main crop this season. Very good tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Second year Italian Honey doing well

• ejp3
    17 years ago

What is your location? This may be a factor.

• leon_edmond
    17 years ago

Stevec, where did you purchase your IH tree?

• jonathan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm in San Francisco, and Brown Turkey has just turned Brown for me, but are unedible. All dry inside. Hope my Laturella fares better.

• stevec
    17 years ago

re: where the tree was sourced from ... Sorry .. I am traveling & don't have my records ... I will check. I tend to deal with Edible Landscaping & Paradise.

re: my location ... I live in the northern suburbs of DC. By some maps this is upper zone 7 ... by others ... lower zone 6.

• ejp3
    17 years ago

I am in N.Y. and latarulla is my favorite fig. It has done very well for me. Its outside in the ground. I have never covered it (I consider this a waste of time), I just put around 2 feet of tied up newspaper around the trunk to protect the roots since the top grows back anyway but the roots are the heart.

• johnrsharp
    17 years ago

I have grown Lattarula figs in Eugene and Portland Oregon. They probably produce more fruit, over 2 or 3 months, than any other fruit free of comparable size. I will try now in Illinois. Problem is - they overproduce. Especially large trees. They have two crops. The first crop is smaller in number but very large and sweet. A 2nd crop sets after the first. It is enormous and you must remove some of the fruit to get good figs. I suggest pruning about 3/4 of the branches on a large tree. Medium size sweet fruit will be produced in August and September instead of small sour fruit as late as December. Be prepared to share some of the fruit with the wildlife. Fortunately the seeds are sterile. Use tanglefoot or something to keep the ants out of the tree.

• tcstoehr
    17 years ago

I have a Lattarula in Canby, Oregon, 35 miles south of Portland. It does quite well, along with my Desert King. That is, as well as any fig will do in this climate.

• herman2_gw
    17 years ago

ejp3,What is the source of your Latarulla??.
    Me and Leon,are asking this question because every Nursery,sells a different tree under Latarulla name.
    Some are good and some are not so good.
    Thanks Anticipated for answering.

• ejp3
    17 years ago

I bought it 10 years ago from Park Seed Company. It fruited the next summer.

• oikos
    9 years ago

I have 2 in Asheville, NC. Had lots of fruit last year when trees were 2 years old. It was a wet year here and the fruit were a bit watery and tended to split a bit. However they were excellent and very sweet. Only the breba fruit ripended in mid to late July with the last figs picked in early August. The second crop never ripened here before the first frost killed them. The first winter the trees came through without any damage but last winter the temps dropped down to 0 F and the plants were killed to the ground. They have both regrown and I plan to treat them like a bush keeping them about 6'. Hope to get a good crop next summer. I have read that the lattarulla is the same as Marseilles and the trees Jefferson raised at Monticello. Also read that they are the same as Dannys Delight and are cold hardy but I think that means just the roots.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner