Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonathan_gw

what is the earliest ripening variety for mild summer climates

jonathan
17 years ago

Anyone happen to know what are the earliest possible variety for mild summer climates? I'm in San Francisco. I'm trying to spread my ripening times out to the max, so I can hopefully eat figs everyday from at least June to December.

I know July is possible. But what variety can get June or May even?

Jonathan

Comments (15)

• pitangadiego
    17 years ago

To get something that early you will have to look at varieties with breba crops. Figs were early this year from am early summer in San Diego, but still first fig wasn't ripe till 8/1. I have seen some figs ripen in November, on a late variety, if we get a real warm week, but they never develop the sweetenss and flavor that they would have had if they ripened earlier, when they should have.

• axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
    17 years ago

Here, in Europe, and with the best known varieties listed below, with any doubt, the winners are Madeleine des deux saisons and Brunswick (these varieties are practically identical):

(In yellow Breba crop, in green fall crop)

Regards

• bonsaist
    17 years ago

Axier, Madelien de deux saisons or (Madelien of 2 seasons) seems to be as early as brunswick, Can you discribe this fig? what color?
    I wonder if it goes by any others names in the States.
    Gracias
    bass

• bjs496
    17 years ago

Bass,

This is from a Bablefish translation of a French website (of course it translated the name Madeleine de deux saisons, as well):

TWO SEASON OLD MADELEINE

Madeleine fig tree two season old:fig flower

Synonyms: Angelica, Early Lemon

Surface of culture

FRUCTIFICATION: Bifère with fig very early flower from 100 to 120 grams. The fig of autumn, more flattened, without collar, is a little smaller 70 to 80 grams.

DEVELOPMENT Of the average TREE, 4 to 6 meters in diameter for 2,5 to 4 meters height according to the importance of the interventions of size with set up an enough port.

SURFACE OF CULTURE variety very resistant to the cold, it is adapted to all the areas where the temperature does not go down regularly to the lower part from - 15oc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Website

• axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
    17 years ago

Bonsaist, here you have the description that appears in the Pierre Baud's book ("Figues"). It is in french, if you don't understand anything, please, tell me.
    I am going off-line until Sunday, so I won't can respond you before.

{{gwi:833842}}

Hasta pronto ;-)

• elder
    17 years ago

Check out Figs For Fun, the site run by Pitangadiego. Plenty of info on Madeleine de deux saisons, including synonyms.....Elder

• bonsaist
    17 years ago

Axier, Je peux comprendre du français.

Here's what this article translates to (Excuse my french):

described for the first time in 1667 per merlet then by J.B. Of Quintinie which cultivated it with the castle of Versailes, under Louis XIV.
    Tree of average strength, of 4 to 6 m diameter and 2.5 to 4 m height, of strong diameter, very resisting to cold. Brebas variety has large fruits gild. The fig weighs 100 to 120 G. The fig of autumn (The main crop), without collar, is initially round then is flattened at the end of the season by taking more sunk color, it is a little smaller, heavy of 70 to 80 Grams.
    Seeds very few, texture fine. Very fine taste, its rather fine skin do not ensure a very good behaviour in very wet conditions: it has tendency to burst.

Bass

• jonathan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That is a beautiful looking fig. The only problem is that I have no idea where to get this anywhere in the States.

Any hints where to look?

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi,

This is one useful post!
    I can easily see which variety has Breba + main crop fruits
    and one that has only main crop!

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I have an Italian variety called SAN PEDRO it gets two crops the first in June and the second in September. Because I am in zone 7BI keep it in the green house in winter basically no dormancy. But in San Francisco you have no freezing winter.

• User
    11 years ago

To My experience,for your goal,Florea will have the earliest main crop,and Atreano,will make abundant Breba possible in June for you,and continue with main crop without any interruption till frost(possible trough December),ripening fruits.
    Atreano will ripe fruits in cooler climates as San Francisco.
    Atreano does not like over 95 temp.,in which case the fruits will not be as tasty, as when the Summer is cool.

• User
    11 years ago

I would say it again:Atreano is unique in having just as many breba as Desert King,and infinite more main crop,that will ripe till late Fall.
    It seem to me ,Atreano,is the work of scientific selection,and it is known to have been selected ,by the Agriculture Department ,of Italy specifically for fresh fruit,Market.
    Atreano is the most,capable to deliver good profits for grower,better than most other cultivars I have grown.
    It is large fruited,tolerant to adverse climatic condition,and decent tasting to satisfy most people.

• User
    11 years ago

And it truly has 2 abundant crops Breba and main crop.
    Most fig trees produce only a few fruits on one of the crop,and an abundant other crop.
    EX
    :Desert King has an abundant Breba crop,but insignificant second main crop.
    Kadota:Makes a few Breba,and an abundant second main crop

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio