Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Sal's Corleon, Sal's Gene, Sal's El?

milehighgirl
11 years ago

Can someone please explain the different strains and where to acquire the preferred Sal's Gene?

Comments (4)

• hoosierbanana
    11 years ago

Sal's Corleone is a different sort of fig than the other Sal's, they both originated from Edible Landscaping. You will have to either watch eBay or make friends in the forum to get the real deal. If I was you I would think about Black Marseilles vs as a replacement, the figs seem to ripen a little better in cool weather than Sal's Gene.

• fauzi000
    11 years ago

What I have at home Sal's Corleone figs is bigger than Sal's Gene. And Sal's Cor skin color is more reddish , But Sal"s gene skin color is looking more Blue .
    The inside pulp of Sal's Gene is Red but Sale Corleone is pale-red. Both of them tasty are very sweet.

Hope , They are really a right Sals types , but My Black Marseilles VS is not fruiting yet. So, I could not compare

Salam .

• xnrgx
    11 years ago

If you want my no tech, two cents wort. From here in Arizona which is quite a bit warmer and dryer then most. I like the Sal's Corleone best or my two. It grows a bit faster and has a more mild and nicer taste. I have a Sal's EL also. I love both but if I had to pick one over the other it would be my Sals Corleone. Both are very close though in taste. It's just here, so far the Corleone seems to bear more fruit and grow a wee bit faster. I think you can't go wrong either way though. I have been in and out of the hospital lately and these seem to take a bit of neglect, which helps. But I have to say for nice big figs, that grow like crazy, here in Arizona my Osbourne Prolific is my top growing, it has a nice taste also (Not my bast in taste but still very good) It has been growing like crazy. I will take a pic of the sals later but this is my Osbourne. My sals are redish purple kind of and a wee bit smaller (Not small though) taste very good I think.

• xnrgx
    11 years ago

Oh,
    get with me if you want. If I can I will send you a cutting when I can (Of the corleone). I got mine from Maggie (one of the nicest people I have ever got figs from) there are so many great people here though. If you can't get one elsewhere I will send you a cutting or two. Mine is still small, only about 6 feet tall, but I can get a few cuttings this winter....
    I go back in for surgery this week, and will be away for a bit, but when I get back I can help.