Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rareprutas

Planting Fig in the Phillipines? Need advice.

RarePrutas
10 years ago

Hi I'm new here and I have a fig (b. mission) seedling that is around 2feet tall and is planted on a 7gallon bucket.

Im here in the Philippines and when I looked at the internet our hardiness zone is around 11b-12. Im hoping that there are some of us here who has experienced to plant Fig in the tropics or here in the Philippines where from Nov-May is dry with little bit of my rain and from June October is the wet season where it rains a lot.

My post is really to ask some questions on how to take care of my Fig. I know this is kinda late to ask this but I I need to ask so I can have knowledge on how to take care properly of my fig so here it goes.

1. What kind and mix of soil do I need for a fig? (percentage of sand, compost and soil)

2. How frequent in a week should I water my fig?

3. Fertilizer or any, do I need to put some?

4. Sunlight or shade?

5. How to transplant and when to transplant a fig?

Hope to get answers and some inputs specially from those who have planted Figs on tropical countries like the Philippines.TIA.

Comments (7)

• barnhardt9999
    10 years ago

Not from a tropical area but since there's no answers yet...

1. Figs are not picky. Since your in the tropics I'd go with the fastest draining soil available.

2. Never, unless the leaves start to drop (unlikely in a humid area).

3. Mine have done fine without but are in rich clay soil. Start with none and experiment if you aren't getting figs. If you have acidic soil try adding some wood ash every now and then.

4. Full sunlight.

5. Plant it in the ground where you want. Water once, then see #2. A fig in a 7 gallon container would be tough to kill transplanting.

• RarePrutas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your reply barnhardt9999. Actually my fig right now has loss all of its leaves so I moved it to a shady area of the house. New buds are already coming out, and I hope that my Fig will fully recover.

• wengskie4898
    8 years ago

Hi there! I love figs and I really want to buy fig seedlings to plant in my garden. Can you tell me where can I buy fig plants, please? Only two seedlings will do since I only have limited space. Thanks.

• cookiechel
    7 years ago

Hi. I'm also from the Philippines and I'm looking for a fig tree? Where can we buy?

• ynakirde
    7 years ago

I'm also from the PH. Currently I have planted 17 brown turkey and one in big pot. the one in the big pot is manageable in the rainy season coz too much water not good for the fig leaf which may develop brown spots and this is a disease hard to eliminate. it can be contained though. Since i planted in pot much earlier and this is a transplanted from the soil and is about 7 years old it has fruited. the ones on the ground are cuttings and will take some time to fruit. Now I have a BLACK GENOA I bought from Australia. I'm interested in an exchange for other varieties and if i can buy cuttings or seedlings it would be great. Anyone out there in the Phi. willing to sell or exchange pls. contact me at ynakirde@yahoo.com

• Rieny Alberding
    6 years ago

I am on the island of Panay near roxas city ,,, I have figs that were brought in from Canada ,, they produce constantly ,,