Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Introduction and Cuttings Available

Posted by torontoborn 5B (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 4, 10 at 8:06

Well, I have been reading for some time now, the posts in this forum, and I would like to thank all of you who contribute regularly to this forum. The information you provide is invaluable.
As you may see from my username, I am in Toronto Canada, and if there are any other Torontonians, please send me an email, and we can keep in touch.
I have about 8-10 Fig trees in my Greenhouse, that I purchased almost ten years ago. The sources are from major nurseries in the Toronto area, Grimo Nut, and relatives direct from Italy.
At this point, I can only identify 1, and I have attached the nursery label. (I will make attempts to identify the others next growing season, and offer up cuttings for trade as well)

I am eager to learn from all of you, and I would also like to expand my collection of fig trees.

If any of you are interested in trading cuttings, just send me an email, and we can arrange a swap. (they are not quite dormant yet, as it is planted inside a greenhouse, probably another 2-4 weeks)
This particular tree is about 12 feet tall, and I will have a considerable amount of cuttings available for trade.

Side Note: since I am new to this, if anyone is interested in cuttings, I have never prepared them before. I assume the following from what I read, and please correct me if I am wrong:
1) cutting length 12" or so
2) cutting width 1/2 to 3/4
3) bubble wrap envelope, with a moistened newspaper/paper towel
4) first class mail

I appreciate your feedback, and interest.

Thanks again to all.

Robert

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Introduction and Cuttings Available

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum!! I'm sure the other Canadians will chime in soon and you will have many new friends to trade with. Glad you've re-kindled your interest in more figs after 10 years. How about posting pics of your greenhouse and fig trees? That would be cool to see. How do you heat in winter?

Curious,
Little John

o

Little John, I will take photos of the greenhouse this weekend, and post, and describe my method of heat.
Stay Tuned.

Robert

o

Hi Robert,

Some of us posted our greenhouse pics on the other fig forum a while back. Check out the link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Figs4fun greenhouse thread

o

Thanks Wildforager

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here