Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
big_al_41

Outdoor pot stuck to the ground

big_al_41
13 years ago

Well, went to move one of my larger potted trees to the garage, however, I at first couldn't move it ..it was like nailed to the ground. LOL, when I finally moved it .I found two rather large roots growing into the earth.

I had to snap them off, they were quite large about 1-1/2 in diam.

Did I hurt my baby ???? I know I will need to repot come spring, but mean time is it OK for it's winters nap here in the North East?

Comments (3)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

... no problem. You left behind some of the plant's o/a energy store in the roots you left in the ground, but it probably won't make a difference that you'll be able to notice come spring.

Al

• thisisme
    13 years ago

If this were summer you would probably have to put the tree in partial shade until it recovered. But as Al said it should be no big deal this time of year when the tree is going into storage.

• northeastnewbie
    13 years ago

That is what we do when we heal in the 1 gal pots here in New jersey ZOne 7. We bury the bottom third of the pot and allow the roots to grow out the side holes in the pot. When we pull them up just run a spade around the pot to prune off the roots. Just make sure there is no hole in the bottom of the pot..