Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dieseler

Figs Put Away

dieseler
9 years ago

October 30th fig plants moved from yard into garage .
October 31st snowed but just stuck on grass with
wind gust up to 50mph felt bad for the few trick or treaters
out and about.

Martin

Comments (9)

• maysongw
    9 years ago

Do you have a heat source in the garage for very cold days in the winter?

• dieseler
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mayson its an attached garage but no heat source.

Years back bought a thermometer as it does get quite cold here and in garage.

Each season garage temps mainly in January
    go into the teens.

Martin

• maysongw
    9 years ago

Martin,
    Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to decide how best to store my figs this year. Last year was a disaster with the frigid temps. My garage is detached from my home, but I had good results using it during the winter of 2012. I hope that this winter isn't as brutal.

• gorgi
    9 years ago

Hello fig-friend Martin;
    Me too! I hate the two annual fig-shuffle in/out of the garage.

Fall: (worst) I first have to clean-up my usually messy G. for more room for them dormant figs.

Spring: picking the right time to let them 'dogs' out - I usually go with nature/local-trees, e.g., maples breaking dormancy.

I have a detached (unheated) garage, but I do have a small
    electrical ceramic heater e/w a separate thermostat that
    'kicks-in' around 32*F for cold help.

I can only voucher that figs can survive in my set-up down to
    20*F (lowest recorded by my Min/Max thermometer in there).

• vito12831
    9 years ago

Hello all
    I put my figs in the garage also, when it gets below 40 I turn on a small heater, and that works fine.
    Vito

• dieseler
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi George and others nice to see the posts , agree its a pain the fig shuffle.
    Nowadays i just shuffle them in spring only.

Some years many leafs fall in garage from the plants and make mess . This season like a few others of past they went in garage with no leaves as before storage they were weathered enough with a simple downward motion on leaf axil they fell ,mother nature took care of many prior .

Mayson yes a few were lost last season but no fret here as its less work overall.

Getting ready for snow when it decides to come , a few new shovels and snowblower bought over weekend.

Last season was a good ole fashion cold and snowy winter which was fine except spring that followed was colder then normal with heavier than usual rainfall and fig shuffle was late coming about which affected the fig crop here.
    Martin

• bear_with_me
    9 years ago

It's a big project, moving those fig trees!

I've been thinking about designing wooden boxes for my figs that I can slip a dolly under to transport them into a shed. That's just for the tender or extra special ones or younger ones. I may also need to do that with some other fruits - peaches, which get terrible leaf curl disease if left in the rain here in the Pac NW.

Daniel

• dieseler
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Daniel agree, here a 2 wheeler is used to help.
    This season had help from son moving them it was much easier.

Martin

• hienkle
    9 years ago

Here in Maryland at this time (Nov 7) the outside temperature is around 40-48 F but my potted figs shed leaves unevenly (See Pix). One lost all leaves, one still have some, and one is still quite green. I wonder why. The in-ground fig trees are still green. I wonder why?

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals