Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamdeb

Chicago Hardy Fig Tree

jamdeb
15 years ago

I live in the southeastern part of Pennsylvania and have a Chicago Hardy fig tree that is two years old. Last winter we left the tree unattended (in a southern exposure outdoor garden) and the top died off. In the spring, new shoots grew from the soil around the dead branches. It grew quickly, bearing many figs late summer into the fall. This year, I wanted to wrap the tree and cover it in order to (possibly?) retain the upper branches for a heartier tree in the spring. However, I have attempted to do this with several fig trees in the past (NOT Chicago Hardy varieties), and they all died. Since this is a Chicago Hardy, I wonder if covering it will do any good? Am I better off leaving it unattended?

Thanks,

Jim

Comments (18)

• herman2_gw
    15 years ago

I have ONe and I protected it the first 3 years of life and
    Now when is 6 yrs old never dies to ground.Same climate as yours.

• rob5020
    15 years ago

Hey Herman,
    How big is your 6yr old Hardy Chicago and does it produce good for you thanks.

• alb419_ny
    15 years ago

Vasile,how cold it gets in your area?Thanks

• herman2_gw
    15 years ago

Giuseppe:It is NOt as cold as in your place.
    Here the coldest I have seen since I am in this Town,(1988),was -4*F.
    The Record Low Here Is -10*F,in 1928.
    My HC is Now 7 foot tall,because I Pruned It down to 4 foot this Spring,and I do it all the time for to be productive.
    I should have been pruning it to 3 foot so I can easily install net over it so I get some fruits.
    Ciao

• alb419_ny
    15 years ago

Vasile,
    here can get colder than your place ,what makes colder
    here is the cold winds we get from lake Ontario,we also
    get a lot of show the average show fall 100 inches a year.I tryed to grow H.C.outdors with some protecion but never made it for me ,i have no choice from now on will grwo all my figs in pots.Take care
    Giuseppe

• ottawan_z5a
    15 years ago

alb419 ny
    I was trying to look for a very hardy fig plant and sometimes later try it outdoor in Ottawa with good protection. However, your post tells me the try will be in vain because our record cold is -36C (-33F). Normal lows can get to -30C (-22F) from mid January to mid February which can sometimes linger on for a couple of days to a week+.
    Anyway, I will at least try once with a Hardy Chicago. I will be happy even if roots survive. If not, then I will be more satisfied putting up with pots.

• jamdeb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd like to thank all for your response to my question, especially Herman2. If I understand correctly, it seems that I can't go wrong with covering the tree, It won't kill the root system or damage the tree in any way? Hopefully this is correct? Thank you once more. Jim

• herman2_gw
    15 years ago

Jim You are right

• clark44
    15 years ago

I live in USDA zone 6 and have a Hardy Chicago. I covered it last winter but obviously not good enough. It has grown back from the roots both years. Any suggestions on what to wrap it with or cover it with to try and survive the winter? It is about 4 feet tall with many branches and on a southern exposure. It is still green.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Clark

• johnsvmf
    15 years ago

It might not be too late but my guess is if you have tender green growth the damage is probably already done, however, I recommend that you wrap your tree as soon as possible to prevent further damage.

I wrapped 6 trees last year with only minor tip die back. The tips died back because they were not sufficiently covered. Here is my process but I recommend you search this forum and find a technique that suites you and whatever resources you have readily available.

1. I tie up my fig tree in a conical form.

2. I drive in 2 seven foot metal posts on opposite sides of my tree. Each post is about 1 1/2 feet from the base of the tree.

3. I then overlap and cut 5ft wide chicken wire (overlap about 10 inches). I intertwine the excess wire on both ends of the chickenwire making a contiguous circle.

4. Next I insert tarpaper inside the posts and intertwined chicken wire.

5. I take dried leaves and run them through my chipper shredder and then pour them inside the metal post, chickenwire and tarpaper barrier. If you don't have a chipper shredder use a lawnmower to chop the leaves up.

6. I try to make sure that there is at least 4 or 5 inches of protection between the tree and the barrier.

7. Most people put a top on that minimizes the entry of moisture (rain or snow) but permits the escape of moisture that finds its way into the barrier. A typical top is a plastic bucket turned upside down with holes drilled in the sides.

I don't use a top and I haven't had a problem. I believe the finely chopped leaves provide an efficient breathable barrier.

Good Luck!

• mbs86
    14 years ago

I live in RI and am starting a fig orchard. I now have fig trees that were brought over originally from the Azores in 1912 by my grandmother.I want to start with 20 Hardy Chicagos and am looking for a source.

Thanks for any help.

• gene_washdc
    14 years ago

Hi mbs86,
    Edible Landscaping has them on sale at $14 potted. HC isn't my favorite fig. If you're set on having it, I'd recommend buying only one or two at the most -- don't fill an orchard with them until you have experience with it and other varieties. What they used to sell as Sals is similar but better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Edible Landscaping

• svanessa
    14 years ago

mbs86,

My grandparents are from the Azores too (Pico and Faial). They came to the States in the 1920's. Please contact me privately. Click on svanessa above then click 'Send Me an Email'.

Sue

• svanessa
    14 years ago

mbs86,

My grandparents are from the Azores too (Pico and Faial). They came to the States in the 1920's. Please contact me privately. Click on svanessa above then click 'Send Me an Email'.

Sue

• frozenjoe
    14 years ago

I will have Hardy Chicago trees available next spring. I'll also have cuttings by this fall. Let me know if you're interested.

Joe

• rrgg
    12 years ago

mbs86, This response is 2 years late, but for the record you can buy Chicago Hardy at Javacone Gardens in Johnston.

• HopiProphecy
    12 years ago

What are the fig's flavor like on the HCs? I am used to black mission figs and have never tried this variety. I recently aquired an HC tree and am anxious to eat some! I know it doesn't NEED a pollinator,but how much will a single tree yeild vs 2 of them?

• ben1941
    10 years ago

I am also growing Chicago hardy in my backyard and is about 5 ft tall now. My problem is how to maximize ripening my figs.bout 85% of the figs are still green by the end of the season. Thanks for whatever advice you can share.