Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herman2_gw

Negronne Fig(Violette de Bordeaux)

herman2_gw
17 years ago

I have to report that in this second,year of life Negronne was giving me Four figs that were very good tasting,they did not split anymore,as last year.

I planted it in the ground,last fall and it died down to soil line last winter ,but still managed to grow up 20 inches and give me some fruits.

And i think it got adapted fast to our rainy sommers.

Very good fig for north east and NEW JERSEY.

Every fig lover in north east should have one!!!!!!!.

Comments (9)

• bonsaist
    17 years ago

Herman, are you saying that Violette de bordeaux and negronne are the same fig?
    and some say petite nigri and negronne are the same.

I do have violette de bordeaux, still too small though.

Bass

• bjs496
    17 years ago

I don't know the growing habits of the mentioned varieties in the NE. I received a very-small, rooted PN from George last year. This year it has grown (in a pot) two main branches off the trunk. One is about 3.5 feet tall and the other is about 2.5 feet. It produced about a dozen figs (which the birds ate). It has been my most vigorous grower this year.

I also rooted several PN cuttings. I'll take one to try growing it next year in NJ and see how it does. If someone wants to provide a VdB and/or Negronne, I'll grow them side by side and do a taste test over the next few years to see if they are the same ;)

~james

• christyfiglover
    17 years ago

I just received my violette de bordeaux from EdibleLandscaping and it is absolutely beautiful; very different from my other figs. It seems to me to be a very regal little fig- and very happy (healthy). It also seems very strong so it will be planted out with the big boys next Spring- can't wait!
    As far as the different names- I'm clueless!
    Thanks all and take care,
    Christy

• gorgi
    17 years ago

Hello,
    Well, I do have my PN (2000 ,Park Seeds) and VdB (2002, EL)
    next to each other and buried in pots). First of of all, I
    would like to say that one should wait 4+ years before
    passing an judgment on these (THEM) figs . This year, both
    of mine performed as initially advertised; small roundish
    blackish skin (with little black dots), a good red insides (eye appealing - rather than longish /pale insides) and a
    very good tasting figs.

Both Pn/VdB fruit seemed same to me this year (but unlike LSU.P which was in my tio my mix - confusion).

Both (PN/VdB) are ~4' tall plants, but I do not keep any records my pruning. I tend to
    agree that PN is somewhat more DWARFish than VdB.
    I am amazed how my tiny PN (that I gave to James) grew so
    fast and how Herman came to so fast a good conclusion.

I recently posted a question about the BLACK, NERO, NIGRA
    NEGROONE, bla, bla, bla, etc ., misused fig name.
    Gene, answered mesomewhere , but I cannot recall where...?

George (NJ).

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well Negronne,and Viuolette de Bordeau fig are treated as the same fig in Hilgardia,By Ira Condit.
    Now Petite Black From Parks Seed is different than Negronne.
    So Bass :I am not saying that.
    Also Wayside Garden is selling Negronne,on their site and i am not sure that is the real Negronne.The real Violette de Bordeaux is in the UCD Collection,and i am not sure but i have a hint that Negronne is a different fig but the collection doesn't have it.
    So ,I think Petite Black from Parks is a different cultivar,on it's own,not related to Negronne NOr VDB.
    Hope this will help

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well George i came to the conclusion that PN,is not Violette de Bordeaux,because:
    AS noticed by me and other people that got PN.,This fig has various shapes of leafes starting from entire to five finger+two tumbs,on the same tree.Also some entire Branches have entire,mullberry like leafes.
    _On the other hand i have two VDB>,coming from Two Different sources and they have uniform Five fingers with Two very small tumbs,most of times.
    That is how is different.
    So i have no doubt they are different.

• bonsaist
    17 years ago

Herman, my Petite nigri leaves are the same as yours, here's how mine looks like.

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here you Go Bass:Now why do not you show a VDB,set of leafes.?

• tallclover
    13 years ago

I grow several varieties in Zone 8 of the Pacific Northwest and Negronne is one of my favorites. I've posted photos in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Negronne Fig photo, a.k.a. Violette du Bordeaux