Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loslunasfarms

Aluminium Plant Tags

loslunasfarms
14 years ago

I use these for my trees, they work pretty great. Im posting because many folks have asked me where I get them:

http://www.gemplers.com/product/T800/Aluminum-Marking-Tags-Box-of-100

Here is a link that might be useful: Aluminium Plant Tags

Comments (16)

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

I use those tags too and they are great. Here's where I get mine along with the plastic blow mold containers that I use for my cutting starts.

Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal Tags and Plastic Pots

• gorgi
    14 years ago

I also use (similar) copper ones...

Well fig tree tagging is very important.
    Loosing track of a fig name is pitiful.

We all started with a "few" figs, but as ones/twoes
    turned into tens/hundreds ... a real nightmare comes to mind.

Easy classical "Sharpie" markings on plactic seem to soon
    fade and/or break.

I heard of another good system (from Jon) - Engraved
    Numbered Tags. However this will require a #-name,
    and reverse name-# (safe) hard-copy of what is which.

Here is a link that might be useful: tree tags

• thisisme
    14 years ago

I wish I had some of these two years ago.

• gorgi
    14 years ago

As an emergency/quick-fix, I also found that writing
    the fig name on the main-trunk (with a Sharpie marker),
    is very helpful (and it out-lasts plastic)...

• thisisme
    14 years ago

I think this guy has the lowest price delivered.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aluminum Plant tags

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Use Wax Pencils (any office supply store) for marking plastic cups or pots. Wax writings can be later removed with some lighter fluid (kerosene/diesel/gas) on a towel if you want to reuse the cup or pot. For more permanent labeling, use "Prang Metallic Markers" available at arts & crafts stores for marking plastic or ceramic pots......will last for years...not affected by sun's UV rays.

Dan

• wildforager
    14 years ago

thisisme, great find. I just bought 2 packs.

Thanks,
    Little John

• thisisme
    14 years ago

I picked up two packs too Little John. When I posted the link I did not notice that the auction was closing so soon.

If he re-lists them I will post it here for others.

• dieseler
    14 years ago

You guys are great in helping with the tags and links.
    I just have only 15 or so plants so its no problem for me i just write in marker under lip of container its out of sun and rain and lasts good amount of time.
    Actually i know what each pot contains without looking at it but i know for you folks above here posting once you get over say 20 plants its much needed and aluminum tags i thing are the best option kinda like a doggie tag.
    Best Health

• thisisme
    14 years ago

For those who missed them and wanted some here they are again at a great price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aluminum Plant tags

• jmsimpson9
    14 years ago

Something else that works is cutting a soda can flat and making tags from it. Place it on several sheets of paper so it gives and use a ball point pen or something else sharp to imprint on the aluminum. Punch a hole on one edge for a twist tie.

Cheap and works pretty good.

• chills71
    14 years ago

I just got my tags in Tuesday, and so far I like them. I just don't like the little pieces of wire to attach them. Anyone got a good substitution for attaching a tag to a tree (these would probably be ok, if they were 2-3 times as long).

~Chills

• fatnsassytexan
    14 years ago

Hi Chills, what about plastic cable ties? You could leave the with a large opening, so they wouldn't eventually girdle the limb. Just a thought.

Tim

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

You can purchase what's called "beading wire" at any Arts and Crafts store (ex. Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc.). They have a lot of different wire types and gauges..... 20 gauge wire is heftier than what comes with those tags. Copper wire is the best. Also, at those same craft and hobby stores you can buy a "Prang Metallic Marker" which I use for permanent writing on my plastic pots...those pens are really great too and not affected by sun and/or rain.

Dan

• plumeriafl
    13 years ago

I noticed that the link to the ebay pages for the metal "impression" tags above don't work anymore, but here's one that does.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal Tree Tags

• marcydee
    11 years ago

I started out doing something similar, but I ended up spending more time writing than planting...ugh! I now use software called Plant Tag N Track and my laser printer, print on waterproof sheets of pot sticks, hang tags, and even bench signs. It also keeps all the info I put in so it's ready for the next time I propagate plants. Cheap, too! $69 bucks. Oh, and the best part for me was the training VIDEOS...yep, no reading a freakin manual.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Tag N Track

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH