Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frumchkin

This new 40 year old fig tree

frumchkin
14 years ago

So my sister got a house that already has a 40 year old fig tree. Age was confirmed by the neighbors. This 15 foot tall tree produced a summer harvest of 3 figs, while the fall harvest filled up a 2 gallon bowl every 2 days until about 3 weeks ago.

Though I have no experience with fig trees I have read the forums and do understand that i need to prune and then burlap it for the winter. I would also like to know what kind of a turkey fig they got.

Burlap part is easy. I already got the materials for all 3 layers and leaves for the ground and 2 more dry bag of leaves for the inside.

I was hoping you would have suggestions on pruning and on the make/model of this turkey fig.

here are leaves and figs (just took the photo today but seems accurate representation). The sun rises on top middle left of the picture(where its blocked by those spring prunes) and goes through the right and then settles on the bottom. So most branches on the left side of the photo dont get any sun at all.

http://img694.imageshack.us/i/leavesfruit.jpg/

Here is a general overview

[URL=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/overviewd.jpg/][IMG]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8628/overviewd.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

/5489/leavesfruit.th.jpg][/url]

Here is another view

[url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/bigview.jpg/][img=http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4133/bigview.jpg][/url]

Here is a general overview of the tree

Comments (32)

• frumchkin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

P.S. couldnt figure out how to add pictures inside the post

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Here are hte images - you need to use the HTML IMG tag to embed photos in your posts.

Are those the ACTUAL photos of the leaves and fruit, or just something you found on the internet?

---------------------------

here are leaves and figs (just took the photo today but seems accurate representation).
    The sun rises on top middle left of the picture(where its blocked by those spring prunes)
    and goes through the right and then settles on the bottom. So most branches on the left side
    of the photo dont get any sun at all.

{{gwi:837472}}

Here is a general overview

{{gwi:837473}}

Here is another view

{{gwi:837474}}

• frozenjoe
    14 years ago

Before you wrap it in burlap or do anything else for winter protection I would check with the neighbors.
    Ask if the old owner ever gave it any winter protection.

A tree that size on Long Island probably doesn't need winter protection would be my guess.

Joe

• frumchkin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for posting the photos. mind sharing how you did it? i tried 10 different ways and it wouldnt work.

Yes, those are the photos of the leaves of the tree in question. took em all on the same day.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Cool. I jut re-read what I wrote, hope I didn't come off like a jackhole with the way I worded stuff.

The easiest way I can explain is to say go here: http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/html/image-tag.html

See the first "tag" in blue under the very first sentence on the page? Copy that blue line of text and paste it into a notepad window or something. Remove the part that says image1.jpg (leave the quotes alone)

Go to your photobucket page and look to the right-hand side of one of your pictures, you'll see a section "Links to share this image", there is a "direct" link - copy that link. Paste it in between the quotes where image1.jpg once sat before you removed it.

Now, what you should have is a complete HTML image tag. Pasting that code (with the > and Basically, using HTML tags is VERY similar to using the BBCode tags ([URL], [IMG], etc) you're probably familiar with.

Some notes....

If you EVER move your images to a different folder at Photobucket, it's gonna break your post, and the picture will not show up correclty anymore.

If you want to link the picture to a larger picture (like... wrap a link to a thumbnail image), you would use the anchor or "a" tag in HTML. For doing that, you would see this page: http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/html/hyperlinks.html

To make the link tag work, you're going to need to do the following:

- Take the IMG tag you made above, but add a link to the thumbnail picture in between the quotes.
    - Take the A HREF tag at the last linked page. Change the URL inside the HREF quotes to link to the larger picture.
    - Remove the words "Go To Page 1" in the A HREF tag and replace with the entire IMG tag from above.

Give it a shot. Should work out for you. If not, ask some questions, I'll help out.

A tags and IMG tags are very basic HTML, which you'd use to build a webpage like all of the pages you read all over the internet. Mastering them is simple. Just make sure you always "close" the tag out when required, and NEVER miss the quotes, they're usually required when you're wrapping a link to a picture or website.

• ejp3
    14 years ago

How do you harvest the figs near the top? I would prune the tree back a few feet at least only when its dormant. I am in your location (L.I.) and would cover up the roots at least but like Joe said find out if it was covered. I dont cover mine.

• frumchkin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This tree does have to be wrapped. Previous owner said it can withstand temp upto -20F. Past winter it was in -30s and -40s a few times.

How do I harvest trees on top?
    1. Get a 12 ft A ladder.
    2. Tie a few plastic bags to my belt.
    3. Lock the dog inside the house.
    4. Lock the cat inside the house.
    5. Place the ladder under the fig tree and climb it.
    6. Climb down the ladder, go inside the house and replace the plastic bags that were torn while I was locking the cat inside the house.
    7. Climb up the ladder and start harvesting the figs.
    8. Hold on to dear life because the dog bumped the ladder which in turn fell down.
    9. slowly make your way down the tree.

1. relock the dog inside the house.
    2. get new plastic bags.
    3. place the ladder again, climb it and start harvesting the figs.
    4. hold on to dear life because the cat got out and now hanging onto the plastic bags on your belt.
    5. fall down the ladder.
    6. Say "F... it" and let the birds and the squirrels have the figs on top.
  • xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

HAHAHA
    There ya go!

Cecil

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

HAHAHA
    There ya go!

Cecil

• thisisme
    14 years ago

Hi frumchkin, It looks like a beautiful tree but I would cut it back to a height where I could reach all the fruit and cover it easier.

Does the shed shade the lower part of the tree during the day?

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

I would hire some lightweight neighbor kids to climb the tree and pick the figs. But that's just me ;)

(assuming you can...so many obese kids these days, might be hard to find a skinny one...)

BTW, frumchkin, I got a huge chuckle out of your step-by-step process!

• fatnsassytexan
    14 years ago

Frumchkin, I loved your Step by Step picking process. Now, that was funny!

Tim

• frumchkin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes the shed does cover the tree. its on the south side :( I think it was installed last year or the year before that. Thats one of the reasons i dont want to reduce the height of the tree, it'll get a lot less sun.

I can climb it, in theory, assuming i can control the 2 devils. I already replaced the screens on 2 windows.

So i'm plan to cut most of the branches that are now covered by the shed, maybe remove that whole main branch that is facing north, it receives no sun and hence it did not produce a single fig.

Also interested if I can get those cuttings to grow and perhaps get some more from their neighbors. Possibly the big green figs. Some that give a decent summer harvest.

• thisisme
    14 years ago

If it were me I would move the shed and cut the tree back. As far as paying some kid to climb it to pick figs I would not. If he falls or gets hurt in some way you could find yourself in a world of hurt.

• artist59
    14 years ago

An idea that may work to pick the fruit off the top of any tree with out climbing is to get a pvc pipe the length you need (height to the top fruit) and wide enough for the fruit to easily slide through.

Cut a V-shaped notch out of one end, put the notched end up to the fruit that is ripe and push upwards. This should make the fruit easily come off the tree since it's ripe and it will fall down the pipe. Catch it at the other with your hand or attach a bag or basket for it to fall into.

I've never done this but when I read it I thought it was a very good idea, easy to make and inexpensive.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Another GW member asked me to post these pictures here, since they couldn't figure it out.

For anyone wondering a shortcut to get pictures on the forum, go to www.Tinypic.com
    Click on the Browse button to find the picture you want them to host.
    Leave the other boxes and the "default" dropdown alone.
    Click the Upload Now button.
    Copy and paste the text you'll find in the "HTML For Websites" box into your post here at the forum.
    Repeat, as needed, for all of your pictures.

This is a quick and sloppy way to post pictures at GW,
    for anyone interested. Just don't expect them to stay
    hosted for free forever ;) but should be long enough
    to show others what you mean. Might disappear from
    Tinypic after a couple of years though.

• robert_2007
    14 years ago

Frumchkin, Satellite was kind enough to post the above pictures for me. I could not figure out how to do it my self. But, any ways I thought the pictures you posted reminded me of a fig we re-discovered growing in Hartford, CT. It has been growing out side without winter protection for around 30 years or so. Do you think it looks ike the leaves from your sister's fig tree? Bob

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Both the original poster's fig, and the pictures from Bob look like Hardy Chicago to me. Link to some pics

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

For figs that are out or reach a golf ball retriever will work I sent one to my Uncle up north who has a large tree even though he cuts it back every year. He can't thank me enough.
    Sal

• fatnsassytexan
    14 years ago

Great idea Sal, I have something similar I use on Mother-in-Laws huge Celeste. Found it at an estate sale. Looks like an old shovel handle. They inserted a big iron hook(totally home made) in the end. Makes it easy to pull those tall pliable branches down to pick. The golfball retriever would be lighter & has a telescoping handle. Thanks for the tip.

Tim

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

If the figs are ripe and ready they will come off easily If not you might do some damage. Good way to check i guess
    Sal

• frumchkin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the responses guys.

Bob, looks exactly like yours. So it looks like its Hardy Chicago for both of us.

PVC pipe is a great idea. i actually have a few of those, i'll try em next year.

Sal, I that if I get the gb retriever i'll have to start playing golf.

The reason i posted tree pictures is to get an assembly of ideas on how to prune it. The compass markers show where the sun is. Shack cannot be moved. So its one of the reasons the tree should be taller than usual.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Prune it and send me some cuttings, I'll cover shipping ;)

• robert_2007
    14 years ago

Frumchkin, the picture that satellitehead posted for me was not Hardy Chicago. It is a fig we are calling Hardy Hartford. That is until we can identify it correctly. Our Hardy Hartford is different in leaf then Hardy Chicago. The Hardy Hartford plant has leaves that are larger then Hardy Chicago. To me your tree looks like Hardy Hartford, not Hardy Chicago. At any rate, would you email me my email address is robertcharper@gmail.com

• luigi82
    14 years ago

Would you like to trade for an Italian white fig tree? That fig looks great. Do you have any pictures of the interior?

• gardenfreak
    14 years ago

If you prune it I would love to get some of your cuttings for postage. They might do well in my zone 6 weather I think.
    Please contact me and let me know.
    Happy New Year.
    Gardenfreak

• frumchkin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Going to prune this tree. anyone wants a few cuttings?

If yes, need a place to mail them and the number/length of cuttings you want.

Also would appreciate if you can trade me for a hardy (zone 7) fig variety that produces large green figs.

P.S. What is the best way to mail them? I was thinking a plastic lunch bag with a quarter of slightly wet paper towel.

• satellitehead
    12 years ago

No more room for cuttings here. Thanks for coming back and bumping this thread, frumchkin. Some lucky person with more room should be excited to receive goodies!!

• Rob23b
    12 years ago

Hi. I'd be interested in some cuttings. I don't have anything to trade right now but will in the spring. I could reimburse you for postage. Please contact me: my email address is rbaldwinmailbox-personal@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
    Rob

• luigi82
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I am interested in trading fig tree cuttings.
    Thank you,
    Luigi

• groweverything
    12 years ago

Hi Frumchkin,

Could you please contact me directly through my page about a possible trade? Thanks & happy new year!

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    12 years ago

Wow, nice tree!

Dennis

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz