Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bare Root or potted?

Posted by bhawkins 8a Dallas (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 13:41

For my other fruit trees I always plant bare root. But I'm wondering for figs if they're different. Which is better; planting the 3 ft tall containerized figs I see at local nurseries, or planting bare root mail order figs?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bare Root or potted?

Depends on how long the stock has been bare-rooted. I would expect some set-back with the bare-rooted stock, as it establishes a new root system. With good culture, the fig trees will take off after putting on new roots. Treat bare-root stock just like giant cuttings.

Containerized plants will just start where they left off. Of course, that's assuming that the containerized plants are healthy, and not root-bound. Just slip them out, and plant.

I see by your posting that you grow other fruit trees. Fig trees are way easier, as long as you meet the cultural requirements for Winter protection.

Just my thoughts.

Frank

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here