Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winterizing fig tree

Posted by angelalisa Philadelphia, PA (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 13:51

I live outside of Philadelphia, PA and I have a brown turkey fig tree. Every Fall I usually wrap it with burlap to protect it for the Winter. This year I
wrapped it with a blue tarp, just the limbs not the trunk of the tree. The tree is very large. Do you think that
is enough protection for the fig tree or do I need to wrap the trunk too? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winterizing fig tree

Hi, angelalisa:

I would wrap the trunk too as I'd never
want the tree to be exposed to the dry
winter wind! I wouldn't want to have the
risk of damage to the fig tree.
I understand it's a heck of lots of work but the fig tree rewards you with the abundance of fruits.
As it takes years to fruit a lot, I would
certainly make sure to bundle up the tree well.

fignewbies

o

I would trim the tree to a manageable size then use the burlap first then the tarp. The burlap would help to keep it warmer while the tarp would keep it dry and stop the wind. Cover from the ground all the way to the top. Also with the trimmings you can share them with friends or start new trees for yourself.
Good Luck!

o

Please show picture of the tree. Thx

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here