Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fig lack of growth, Help.

Posted by kf6cmp ca (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 3, 10 at 14:00

Hi, I live in Southern california and my son gave me a fig tree several years ago. It was in a pot ,and we recently transplanted in the grown. It seems healthy and does fruit,But It is not growing branches. It is producing leave that grow out of the main stem. but no branches. I'm wondering if its diseased or ? I've grown many trees and this situation is odd and unusual to me. Any advice? I'd hate to pull it and plant another. Its not grown heighth at all. But is alive. Just no growth.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fig lack of growth, Help.

Sounds fine. just add a little balanced fertilizer into the soil, and it will take off.

o
RE: Fig lack of growth, Help.

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 5, 10 at 17:16

People are often reluctant to get into the root mass and physically correct problem encircling, girdling, upward-growing, and j-hooked roots, or roots growing back toward the center of the root mass, but that's exactly what needs to be done to trees planted out - especially trees that might have been in the same container or subject to root-bound conditions for several years.

Also, consider the adage:

First year they sleep,
Second year they creep,
Third year they leap!

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here