Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stepandfetch

overwintering rooted cuttings

stepandfetch
13 years ago

Hi everyone, I am having trouble finding info on overwintering small fig trees. I have 3 small fig trees, potted. They are all from cuttings taken this past March, and none were big enough to be planted in the ground at the end of this summer. I also have 6 or so cuttings that rooted around a month ago. How should I overwinter these trees? What do you all do? I have an unheated garage, but there is no garage door. The garage stays well lit during the day. I don't believe this coming winter will be very severe, but regardless of severity, we will surely have many short periods of very mild weather and other periods of very cold weather. I have heard that the young rooted cuttings should not go through dormancy and should be brought indoors? Should I keep the larger potted plants in sun or shade? much thanks

Comments (6)

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    13 years ago

Stepandfetch, you and I are in the same zone and state. I'm in Charlotte. Here is my recommendations. For small trees started this year from cuttings I would protect them and let them go dormant too. Like you, I have several small trees started from cuttings and a few air layered. These small trees will camp out in my garage which is insulated but not heated. What this means is, temperatures inside my garage can get down to 32 degrees and that's OK. But I would do not let my new young trees experience temperatures below 25. If your garage is "open" and does get sunlight I think your trees will be fine. Is you garage facing South or North? It makes a big difference. Mine faces North but again it's insulated and safe. Just place your trees tight against the inside wall of your garage and add pine bark mulch and moth balls at the base of your trees to keep the mice at bay. The goal here is to keep the wind chill off your young trees. I would keep the potted plants in the sun especially in winter. Just my 2 cents. Good luck, Dennis

• edje
    13 years ago

Good advice, Dennis. I'm in Hickory and it sounds like we do pretty much the same thing and I've had good luck. Even with the severe cold snap we had last year my figs came through fine even though the pots froze solid. I think you hit on the main thing. That is keep the cold wind off them.

Eric

• stepandfetch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

my garage is west-facing but is in a corner of the house so that it is protected from nearly all angles except for west and southwest. There is a paved parking pad in front of the garage, and a high brick wall perpendicular to the garage that protects it from the north, creating a corner that sees the most sun and stays warmer than any other area of the house.

For the larger potted trees (about a foot tall), I have a brown turkey (dormant), a mystery tree (probably a really good celeste), and an extremely vigorous alma that is nowhere close to dormancy.. it still has green growth and plenty of green leaves. I also have a rooted cutting from the fig tree I mentioned in the thread "enormous yellow figs."

For the smaller rooted cuttings, I have 4 plants from a mystery variety... the mother tree put out medium-large yellow figs with pink centers and long-fingered leaves... well.. until it was cut down (not by me)

• fredfig
    13 years ago

I'm in New Bern. Last winter, I put the pots on table at rear (house wall) in garage. Kept off the floor, as I figured cold pools at lowest level. Most of time garage closed, but some afternoons open door. Had no problems. Fred

• harvey12
    13 years ago

Stepandfetch: I am in Durham, NC, and for years I have overwintered newly rooted up to one year cuttings in a small greenhouse, with no heat other than a small heater which turns on at about 35 degrees. I have yet to lose a single cutting (10 to 20 each year). In other words, fig cuttings are quite hardy with reasonable protection. The area you describe seems ideal for overwintering cuttings. As others have advised, keeping them out of direct winter winds is required. I protect my small in ground figs with a two foot cylinder of chicken wire, which is then stuffed with dry leaves, surrounding the tree in the center. In spring, I just lift off the chicken wire, and allow the leaves to stay, as mulch for the growing season. I don't see why the same treatment could not be used for a small potted fig tree, but I doubt that it is necessary in the protected location you describe. It seems that there are a lot of fig lovers in NC. Perhaps we should exchange e-mail addresses and information about figs in our area. I would certainly like info about the "big yellow" fig you found on your trip. It sounds like a winner. My e-mail address is eestes@nc.rr.com, if you or others are interested. Thanks.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

I have some rooted cuttings I just planted them in soil mix. I am keeping them inside the house. They have plenty of lights and occationally sun in the afternoon. I want them to grow and not go dormant. I hope I am not killing them. My other big fig trees are in the garage which is insulated and the pots are mulched and put in paper boxes close to a heated house wall. I constantly read the temperature on the garage meter the temperature did not go under 40 yet.