Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanozhou

Sweetest fig for zone 6

nanozhou
11 years ago

I have a brown turkey in my backyard, and I am thinking of planting one more fig tree.

My kids like sweet, so I am looking for a sweet specie with honey flavor that can do well in zone 6 (Washington DC suburb).

I searched previous posts on this forum and found that LSU gold or Brooklyn white might be a good choice for me. Are they indeed sweeter than Brown Turkey according to your experience? Any other possible choice for me? Any suggestions or comments would be really appreciated.

Comments (9)

• tony_c_m
    11 years ago

A Celeste fig is very sweet. I had the pleasure of trying a few this summer. They are like eating sugar, so I think your kids would really like those. There is a tree growing in Pittsburgh, PA that is never covered and it's about 12 to 14 feet tall and about that wide. Hope to get cuttings from it soon.

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi,

I had heard from other members of Italian fig
    growers saying that fig were like candies in Italy
    when they were kids many years ago.
    The fig fruits are much better for the children as
    they are loaded with nutritional values.
    But make sure the children rinse their mouths
    after eating figs or anything sugary
    as this can cause acid to develop, damage the children's
    teeth.

• nanozhou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your kind reminder, fignewbies. I will make sure my kids take care of their teeth after enjoying figs. :-))

• nanozhou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

According to previous discussions on this board on similar topics, LSU Golden Celeste and Dan's Cajun Honey Fig are probably the sweetest figs out there. I will try to buy these if I could find a supplier, and plant them in pots.

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    11 years ago

Most figs, when properly ripened will be very sweet.

In Zone-6 which will have a very short ripening season... a grower needs to select the varieties that will most likely ripen in August, into early-September. The sweetest variety grown in the wrong area will yield disappointing figs.

Try:
    "Hardy Chicago"..."Celeste"...."Black Mission" in addition to the varieties mentioned in other postings. The LSU figs might be better down in the Southern states, like Louisiana, where they were bred.

"Atreano" is a very good short-summer fig. Its large, sweet, prolific, dependable, vigorous, and fairly easy to find.

Those in Zone-6...don't waste your time with long-season, heat/sun loving varieties. Zone-6 will never be Southern California.

Happy hunting.

Frank

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

Frank AKA BronxFigs is right on.

I have four varieties here in Florida, and I give cuttings away for free, but they would all fail way up north. Cold hardy varieties are the way to go for you. Choosing climate-appropriate varieties is key to long-term happiness for all growers.

Also figs, ripened to the drooping point, are always at their sweetest.

Note: I am getting several figs a day now, in mid-November, here in Florida. No way that these trees would give figs up north, being late-season trees.

• nanozhou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Frank and budbackeast, Thanks for the kind suggestions!

Yes, I agree that I should go for hardy and early-ripen varieties. I will probably try Brooklyn White Fig.

• nanozhou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bob, thanks for your very helpful information.
    I'll try Bayernfeige Violetta. I searched a bit and found this variety may have another name "Violet Bavaria?
    I live in Washington DC suburb, so hopefully Bayernfeige Violetta figs have enough time to ripen before the first frost day.

It seems that my backyard will soon be packed with various Fig trees. Hope my wife won't complain...

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer