Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweetest fig for zone 6

Posted by nanozhou 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 16:11

I have a brown turkey in my backyard, and I am thinking of planting one more fig tree.

My kids like sweet, so I am looking for a sweet specie with honey flavor that can do well in zone 6 (Washington DC suburb).

I searched previous posts on this forum and found that LSU gold or Brooklyn white might be a good choice for me. Are they indeed sweeter than Brown Turkey according to your experience? Any other possible choice for me? Any suggestions or comments would be really appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweetest fig for zone 6

A Celeste fig is very sweet. I had the pleasure of trying a few this summer. They are like eating sugar, so I think your kids would really like those. There is a tree growing in Pittsburgh, PA that is never covered and it's about 12 to 14 feet tall and about that wide. Hope to get cuttings from it soon.

o

Hi,

I had heard from other members of Italian fig
growers saying that fig were like candies in Italy
when they were kids many years ago.
The fig fruits are much better for the children as
they are loaded with nutritional values.
But make sure the children rinse their mouths
after eating figs or anything sugary
as this can cause acid to develop, damage the children's
teeth.

o

Thanks for your kind reminder, fignewbies. I will make sure my kids take care of their teeth after enjoying figs. :-))

o

According to previous discussions on this board on similar topics, LSU Golden Celeste and Dan's Cajun Honey Fig are probably the sweetest figs out there. I will try to buy these if I could find a supplier, and plant them in pots.

o

Most figs, when properly ripened will be very sweet.

In Zone-6 which will have a very short ripening season... a grower needs to select the varieties that will most likely ripen in August, into early-September. The sweetest variety grown in the wrong area will yield disappointing figs.

Try:
"Hardy Chicago"..."Celeste"...."Black Mission" in addition to the varieties mentioned in other postings. The LSU figs might be better down in the Southern states, like Louisiana, where they were bred.

"Atreano" is a very good short-summer fig. Its large, sweet, prolific, dependable, vigorous, and fairly easy to find.

Those in Zone-6...don't waste your time with long-season, heat/sun loving varieties. Zone-6 will never be Southern California.

Happy hunting.

Frank

o

Frank AKA BronxFigs is right on.

I have four varieties here in Florida, and I give cuttings away for free, but they would all fail way up north. Cold hardy varieties are the way to go for you. Choosing climate-appropriate varieties is key to long-term happiness for all growers.

Also figs, ripened to the drooping point, are always at their sweetest.

Note: I am getting several figs a day now, in mid-November, here in Florida. No way that these trees would give figs up north, being late-season trees.

o

Frank and budbackeast, Thanks for the kind suggestions!

Yes, I agree that I should go for hardy and early-ripen varieties. I will probably try Brooklyn White Fig.

o

Brooklyn white is one of the figs in our cold hardy fig test plots. It appears to be to late for our area

It has not performed that well here in our 5b/6a part of Connecticut. I'm considering pulling it out or top working it to a more early ripening fig like Marseilles Black VS or Danny's Delight. Danny's delight out performed Marseilles Black VS, this year, 2012.

We are growing and testing for cold hardiness and other attributes needed to successfully grow cold hardy figs in the north, Brooklyn White, Danny's Delight, Hardy Chicago, Hardy Hartford, Ronde de Bordeaux, Sal's Corleone, Sal's EL, Abruzzi, Hanc's English Brown Turkey, LaRadek's English Brown Turkey, Atreano, Kathleen's Black, Bayernfeige Violetta, Gino's, Rocco, and others.

The sweetest fig we have in our collection of maybe 20 or so figs is Bayernfeige Violetta. It is so sweet we have to cover it with mosquito netting to keep the flies off of it.

Plus, it needs extensive management to grow it in the north. Because it is ever bearing we have to remove 75% to 80% of the fruit around July 15th, to avoid having a tree full of green fruit, when frost comes. But, we still end up with over 100 fruit on the tree.

Bob zone 5b/6a Connecticut

o

Bob, thanks for your very helpful information.
I'll try Bayernfeige Violetta. I searched a bit and found this variety may have another name "Violet Bavaria?
I live in Washington DC suburb, so hopefully Bayernfeige Violetta figs have enough time to ripen before the first frost day.

It seems that my backyard will soon be packed with various Fig trees. Hope my wife won't complain...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here