Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rafed_gw

rooting cuttings

rafed
13 years ago

Well folks,

It looks like it's that time again, or almost.

Time to start rooting our cuttings.

I will start some of mine this weekend and the rest around January or February.

I plan to use my deep plastic tote box from the start this year.

I will use 16oz. or 20oz. foam cups. Poke a couple dozen hole all around the cups and use Moss and place the covered tote box with water at the bottom for moisture in the furnace room in the basement.

Totally eliminating the baggie this time around.

When or if there's some action as far as the roots go then I will bring up the tote box upstairs and place by the window to start the 2nd stage, That would be the same as taking them out of the bag and placing in the cups.

Hope it works and I will keep you all posted.

BTW,

I will do a couple with perlite just to see.

Rafed

Comments (24)

• westcoastgrower
    13 years ago

I took some cuttings in early november, they were about 5 inches long, i didn't use any rooting hormone. i just put them in regualr soil. and i have them in room temp. i checked them today, and 1 has 3 big roots, and the other ones have very small roots.

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Westcoastgrower,

What do you mean by regular soil? Regular potting soil, or dirt-soil from outside? And how long had they been planted before you looked and found the roots?

Thanks,

noss

• rafed
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update,

Just finished the project and hope it works out well. I was able to put 26/16oz. cups in the tote box.

Once again, I am doing this to eliminate the need to take them out of the bag and putting them in cups as I just did. Don't want to disturb the roots.

Here are some pics, Hope you enjoy.

Rafed

• westcoastgrower
    13 years ago

hey noss,
    i used potting soil, not dirt.
    this is my fist time rooting figs, and so far its easy. i took cuttings from a a huge tree in the napa valley region here in california. i think it was a black mission or a b.t.

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Hey Rafed ,
    Nice Toe

Martin

• rafed
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Martin,

You missed the Diamond toe ring.

Rafed

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    13 years ago

Hey Rafed, I like th white grate you place on the bottom of your cuttings. Can you tell me what is that the where you got it? I plan starting my cuttings Jan 1st. Dennis

• rafed
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dennis,

I think it was you but not too sure but we had this discussion a while back. I had promised to show you but forgot. Sorry.
    You can go to any Home Depot or Lowes and go to the Drop Ceiling isle. It is a 2'x 4' ceiling light cover.

I use a nose plier to chip away.

Hope I was able to help.

Rafed

• loslunasfarms
    13 years ago

Do you guys plan to keep these cuttings in the sun or indirect sunlight?

I have debated starting earlier to try to get fig from my first timers..

• rafed
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jose,

Right now the container is sitting in a dark warm ( not hot ) dry place near the furnace.
    It will remain there for about 1 month, Maybe less or maybe longer. I will have them inspected every few days when I'm on the road and have them aired out for an hour or two. This is the first stage ( baggie method ).

The second stage ( assuming it's showing life ) is to move the container upstairs and place near the window and use it as a mini greenhouse.

We all know some cuttings take longer than others so that's why I have a back-up container so I would transfer them from one container to another. I'm hoping I won't need to do this ( what are the odds ).

Rafed

• noss
    13 years ago

Thanks, WCG.

noss

• rafed
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update,

Went downstairs to check on the cuttings and noticed mold on a few of the cuttings.
    I rinsed off the mold and left the container uncovered for a couple hours to air out.
    Looks like I will have to have the container uncovered everyday now.
    If mold continues to be a problem then I will have to abort the project and try to salvage what I can. I will give it a week at the most.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Rafed

• loslunasfarms
    13 years ago

What has worked for me is not to leave the cuttings in 100% humid envoriment like when you leave the lid on. Instead, drill some holes on the top and small ones on the bottom so that there is some circulation.

• genecolin
    13 years ago

Rafed here is a couple of pictures of my experiment. This adriatic was put in baggie with sphagnum moss on the 13th and 16 days later I have roots. I remove it from the bag and stood it up in a cup with SM. I had another cutting of a different variety showing short roots also that I will let stay in baggie a few more days. Along with these I had cutting that showed mold after 4 days in paper towel. I washed them again in bleach and again in 2 days there was mold. I then left the little mold on them and put them in the SM. Mold has stop.
    "gene"

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Gene,

That's really good to get roots that fast, isn't it? I think there's something to the SM. Probably not all methods work in every climate, but I'm impressed with what you got so quickly.

Rafed,

What is the purpose of all the holes you put in the cups?

Thanks to both of you,

noss

• rafed
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Genes,
    The concept is no different than yours, Just eliminating the need to transfer from bag to cup. I've since moves the container upstairs and kept the lid open about an inch.

I will check on the later.

Vivian,
    The holes are just there for air flow.

Rafed

• tomgrower
    13 years ago

Good luck Rafed.

I'm tring a few cutting in a vase/water. In just a few short weeks the roots and growth are growing happy. I'll let it grow all winter and transplant in the Spring. I hope they make it.

I received the cutting from and older italian gentleman when I befriended him after I noticed this beautiful 10' tree growing on the side of his house next to his grape collection. It is a purple fig that he loves over his green fig growing on the property also. He said it is very winter hardy and requires minimal care. Just what I want to hear.

I'd post some pics but I'm having trouble. Help anyone!

Good luck!

• tomgrower
    13 years ago
  • gorgi
    13 years ago

• tomgrower
    13 years ago

I think I figured this picture posting out finally.

New to figs and cuttings. The "baggie" method needed alot of tlc for me and I had minimal success last Spring. The right amount of moisture and humidity. I have 4 plants that have made it through the growing season and are sitting dormant in the garage.

Anyone have any success with transferring cuttings from water to soil using the "vase" method? lol
    Thanks

• gorgi
    13 years ago

Wala!

Posting pictures was always a challenge on this GW/FF;
    a server (e.g., Photobucket) is required,
    (rather than uploading direct from own PC as in the F4F/FF).

This is what I did:
    went to:
    http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/flukebanger/fig1.jpg

Right clicked on the image...
    chose
    "inspect image"
    chose the following:
    [img style="-webkit-user-select: none; cursor: -webkit-zoom-in; " src="http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/flukebanger/fig1.jpg"; width="854" height="641"]
    (NOW REPLACING the two "" delimeters with "[" and "]"
    else the same PICTURE will be shown here are you confused yet?

Whatever you do, do not change name/location of the pic,
    else it will vanish from here.

Yeah, computers work in mysterios ways...

• gorgi
    13 years ago

I do currently have 3 precious fig cuttings(KB)in rain water.
    Set-up is appox like yours, except for a taller, domed container.
    They were there since ~1 month ago. At first, I noticed white
    knobs (root initials?) that later turned brown and vanished.

Now I see ~1/4" white roots above the water level (a good sign)!

I normally do not use this method; I did this b/c I
    thought that the cuttings were rather on the "green" side...

• dieseler
    13 years ago

As a child i used to see vases filled with roots when grandmother rooted fig sticks for the family.
    The water roots are not as tender and fragile as one thinks.
    I tried with greenish sticks and more seasoned brown wood .
    The greenish "firm" sticks root the younger newer growth green and this seasoned brown did not.
    I may try with 2 year old well seasoned wood out of curiosity.
    Martin

• genecolin
    13 years ago

Tonight I checked my cuttings and found the one with roots that I put in the cup now has roots touching the cup walls. Another cutting has put out roots and a third has not put out roots but rather it's putting out leaves. I hope it doesn't use up the cuttings energy before putting out roots.
    "gene"

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County