Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwoksmusic

Fig or Weed??

kwoksmusic
9 years ago

One day I found a plant growing in my backyard. I asked my gardener to remove the weed. He said it was a fig tree! Apparently some bird had deposited some seeds or the wind blew it into my backyard. Is that possible? Its about 4 feet tall now (about 3 years) but bears ZERO fruit! Not even a hint of it. So my question is whether I've been cultivating some kind of weed!!?? (IMAG0029 and 30).

This is a post note - I did move this tree from a shady space to this sunny spot, maybe a year after I discovered it. So perhaps that's why its not fruiting yet, its recovering? Also, I never watered it - only has a tiny little drip system. My other "fly in my yard" fig (see picture below in one of the replies) is right by the lawn, so it gets a lot more water and it was also never moved. Perhaps that's why its fruiting earlier?

Thanks!

Irene

This post was edited by kwoksmusic on Fri, Nov 7, 14 at 17:09

Comments (9)

• goodground
    9 years ago

Looks like a fig tree to me.

• dieseler
    9 years ago

Yes sure looks like a free fig tree.
    Martin

• kwoksmusic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your replies - good to know! Here's another another that "flew" into my yard, and this one already has fruit, even though its at least 1 year or more younger than the non fruiting one.

Does this look like a fig tree too?

Irene

• dieseler
    9 years ago

Yes that is also a fig plant.
    Martin

• kwoksmusic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again, Martin! The tall one seems a little skinny so I think I should water it more? But the short one seems to be doing well as it is, so I'm thinking I should do nothing and just let it be? Should I fertilize it? I have done absolutely nothing to nurture it so far, and it seems to be doing fine, so I'm thinking I should continue to leave it alone? Or should I start fertilizing, now it has fruit??

Any advise appreciated.

Irene

• dieseler
    9 years ago

Irene ,going into winter its not good idea to fertilize as it will create growth that may not have chance to harden off and be damaged in winter.
    But not familiar with your climate as well ,here in cold area we do not.

During spring and up to mid summer we fertilize our figs growing in containers and they respond well in growth.

Figs that you have not planted and sprout up probably were seeds deposited by a bird etc.
    They eventually grow the fruit(as you shown) and at some point fall off due to needing pollination or possibly ripen not sure as I have not have had that happen here.

There are different types self pollinated and another group that
    needs the fig wasp to pollinate or fruit will drop at some point.

As a side note.
    Folks that recently moved into a home may not see plant in yard from previous owner planted until a season later as it may have died to soil level and re sprouted .
    Martin

• kwoksmusic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you again, Martin, for your response. We've lived in this house for 18 years, so I know no one seeded this last year, other than some bird or the wind!

But I have a question about the burnt leaf. The skinny and taller tree, which gets less water, has burnt leaves on the side facing the sun. Can I prevent this in future growth by ensuring sufficient water to the plant?

Irene

• dieseler
    9 years ago

It should help it along .
    As plant gets more seasons old it should do better one would think after all some are seen in very arid places of the world.
    Martin

• kwoksmusic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Martin, you're right about it being found in arid places of the world. So glad the burnt leaves are now all gone in the winter and we'll get new leaves in the spring! Hadn't checked the forum in awhile and just saw your response.

Irene