Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xnrgx

How to store cuttings?

xnrgx
13 years ago

Just so I make sure I understand... I can place fig cuttings in a zip lock back with some wet newspaper, and place it in the fridge till spring? Is that correct?

Comments (12)

• rigo76802
    13 years ago

i use paper towels , i lightly wet them and store in zip lock bag in the fridge.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

I don't understand the frig storage. I pot the Cutting rapped in wet napkin in a Zip bag. Left them on top of the TV which gets warm. I noticed some leaves growing I took them out of the bag and put them in plastic cups wrapped in we napkins. They grew roots. When the roots were 2 to 3 inches. I planted them in pots with mix of soil and saw dust. Now I have three little fig trees setting on my TV. Honestly I did not know what I was doing it is a pure luck. I will keep them inside until they are big enough to go outside.

• wildforager
    13 years ago

foolishpleasure, by putting the cuttings in the fridge thats the best way to store cuttings until you can get to them again or the environment to better for rooting. My experience is that my home is too cold in the winter for rooting cuttings and its best for me to wait until spring to root in a bag. I don't own a TV so thats out for me. Rigo has good advice. The cuttings will last for months in the fridge.

• rigo76802
    13 years ago

if your trying to root figs in winter time, i usually put them in a plastic rubbermaid tote and on those really cold days i put a heating pad on med or low for a couple of hours in the morning.

• rickc_2010
    13 years ago

My cuttings are 12-16" long should I cut them in hald to double them. I dont think my wife wants to see a bunch of sticks in the fridge. can i just keep'em in the cool basement?
    Can i just stick them in soil or should that wait untill spring?
    Thanks,
    Rick_2010

• loslunasfarms
    13 years ago

NO NO NO,

Do not use the wet paper towel. They will die of mold or most of them well. Put them in triple wrapped saran kitchen plastic wrap, and keep cool. They will last easily until the spring.

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    13 years ago

Hey guys, listen to Jose....what he is saying is true! Mold will develop if you place a damp or wet paper towel in with your cuttings and placed in the fridge. If you use the wet paper towel trick, your cutting will do fine for a few days. But as the days go by mold will set in and all your cuttings will be dead. Wrapping them in cling film aka saran wrap will do the job....just make sure they are washed and bleached according to JD's way and air dried before wrapping them. Cheers, Dennis

• johnparav
    13 years ago

Hey Dennis & Jose ,

Can you give a bit more info on the Saran wrap method .

-do you seal the ends on the Saran wrap by folding over ?
    -how many cuttings per bundle ?
    - do you then put in a ziplock bag ?
    -what length do you recommend ?

Thanks ...... John

• ottawan_z5a
    11 years ago

John
    I received some cuttings from a fig friends. Each one was separately rolled in saran wrap with a few layers airtight. Thety were shipped to me in late January and I placed them in a ziploc bag and stored them in the vege compartment. I rooted the last few of these cuttings in August after seven months storage. The cuttings looked fresh even in Auguest and retained its own moisture and colour. I made sure the fridge vege drawer stayed above freezing temp.

• saxonfig
    11 years ago

I just wanted to add to Jose and Dennis's comments. They both have it right concerning the best way, by far, to store your cuttings.

When I wrap mine this way, I roll them up as tight as possible without harming the cuttings. As I roll them in the plastic wrap, I attempt to press out as much air as possible. I'll roll them up a little, then fold the ends of the wrap up, roll them a little more then repeat until I'm done.

All this info about pressing the air out and folding the ends in as you go may seem a bit obsessive. But I've had cuttings come out fresh and viable after MORE THAN A YEAR using this method. As long as they were healthy, dormant cuttings to begin with that is.

If you're new to propagating figs and you're wondering what would be the best way to store your cuttings until spring, please give this storage method a try. You will save yourself a lot of heartache.

• frankcbd
    11 years ago

Such valuable info! You guys are great.

• gary_dia
    8 years ago

Will try to wrap my
    Swiss fig tree cuttings that way, it's very hard to clone THEM, had luck outside
    with other types I have, but this Swiss one is very,
    very cold hardy going to take the cuttings and just throw a tarp over it last
    year I did bury it, can't do it this year, just had total shoulder surgery
    done, and I'm 3 months post op, and still in pain does not
    look promising I never did this so mix a small amount of bleach, with
    water, wipe the cuttings, wrap air tie, BIG QUESTION I HAVE CANNING WAX
    SHOULD I SEAL BOTH ENDS IF BOTH ENDS ARE CUT TO SEAL IN THE CUTTING?? It GETS TO MINUS 20 HERE A FEW DAYS A YEAR

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County