Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leon_edmond

Spacing of fig trees in ground

leon_edmond
17 years ago

Hi folks. Just getting some opinions on how close some of you are growing fig trees in ground. Our lot size is pretty limited however I would like to plant some fig trees (bushes) in the ground this coming season. Most of my collection is in containers. Thanks.

Comments (17)

• gene_washdc
    17 years ago

Leon,
    In the orchard I set them at 20' squares, and in the second one at 15' triangles. In my tiny yard in town I've set them as close as 3' apart, squeezing in 12 varieties. In retrospect I think I'd done better to limit myself to one in front and one or two in back. Better to let one do well as to have many doing poorly in cramped quarters.

• leon_edmond
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Gene. From pictures that you've sent to me, your backyard trees look very healthy.

• elder
    17 years ago

I heartily second Gene's suggestion, 15 to 20ft between trees. I tried 12, am finding out I can't walk between my four year old trees. Wonder if anyone lives near a commercial orchard, say in the Central Valley area of California, and could clue us in as how the money people do it.....Elder

• pitangadiego
    17 years ago

Gene, I understand 15-20' commercially (no eyes on the prize. though). On my hill, they are at about 7-1/2' centers. Only way to squeeze in all the trees I have. I also prune all but about 4-6" of growth each year, for size control.

• gene_washdc
    17 years ago

Leon, I think part of the problem for me is keeping them pruned correctly. Being cramped, they grow up instead of out making it hard to harvest or to protect from birds.

Elder, though it might be interesting as a matter of curiosity, I don't think commercial orchards in CA could be used as a guide for home gardeners elsewhere. They have issues such as farm machinery and lower rainfall that we don't have. We have winter freeze back that they don't have. I think too that they distinguish between orchards for fresh figs and those for dried. I beleive the "dried" orchards are set much further apart.

• elder
    17 years ago

Gene, you are so correct that the commercial growers in CA have different issues, but we all have different issues. Let's get as much info into the mix as we can.....Elder

• leon_edmond
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi guys. I went back through some old articles I have on figs. I came across one from the Jan/Feb 1991 issue of Fine Gardening entitled Home-Grown Figs by C.T. Kennedy. He wrote, "Recommended spacing for fig trees in California is 20 ft. to 30 ft. In the South, fig bushes can be spaced 6 ft. to 8 ft. My trees, however, are spaced on 18 inch centers. By crowding them, I avoid pruning. I've found that they do fairly well as long as all are of the same age and vigor; any tree left behind in the race for light will disappear. Cultivate to remove weeds until the plants get established, being careful not to damage the shallow roots. Later the dense foliage will shade out any weeds. Or you can apply a mulch to suppress the weeds, though the roots will penetrate any organic mulch within a month or so. Fertilize only if necessary, and at the end of winter."
    "I encouraged the trees upward during the first three years and they produced stout 6 inch diameter trunks and well branched scaffolds without much winter pruning on my part. In colder climates, figs winter only as a multiple-trunk shrub- "fig bushes" is a Georgia crackerism for a producing fig orchard. There, gardeners grow figs in the style of a lilac, removing each stem after a few years, if a frost doesn't get to it first. Such a bush is easier to protect from freezing, and produces more of the early-crop figs."

• herman2_gw
    17 years ago

Hi Leon: I grow figs in buried bucket in a row at the spacing specified by CT Kenedy but for a different reason.
    I grow all new rooting cuttings like that in order to taste for productivity and quality,in exactly the same growing condition.But ,once i conclude a fig is excellent,then i take it out of bucket,move it by itself and make sure it got space,and sun to grow.I think is the best metode to select myself a few exceptionally good fig trees.The inferiors goes to compost pile after second year of life.Regards

• gene_washdc
    17 years ago

Herman, sounds like a pretty good system. I wish I had the will power to be more ruthless in tossing away lesser quality figs.

Here's something I found in "The Fig: Its Biology, History, Culture and Utilization" by William Story, et al. (c1977):

• Scott F Smith
    17 years ago

Mine are spaced at 3'. Also they are grown like Kennedy mentions people do in Georgia: a bush with lots of trunks. This makes it easier for me to cover them in winter. My one disappointment is the few number of figs I have harvested after three years. I did have inadequate covering the first two winters though, most of the wood died and that set the growth back.

Scott

• gorgi
    17 years ago

I am just jealous for all of you that have a vast space...

• pitangadiego
    17 years ago

gorgi,

There is a simple solution. Ship your trees to California and we'll take care of them for you, and you can visit any time you want.

• rich204
    16 years ago

Hi Gene,

could you tell me where I could find your reference to.The Fig: Its Biology, History, Culture and Utilization" by William Story?.....

Thank You.
    Richard

• gene_washdc
    16 years ago

Richard,

It's available from CRFG for $11 (if you are in the USA). Write a check for that amount, made out to CRFG and mail to:

CRFG Marketplace
    2198 John Street
    Riverside, CA 92503-6822

• oxankle
    16 years ago

Sounds to me as if Herman has a plan. How many figs can a man eat? Keep the best, scrap the rest.

In my case the issue will be which can survive on their own. I have protected area for three trees. The rest will have to survive in pots or in the open.
    Ox

• paully22
    16 years ago

For me the best gets to grow in the ground or in a 20gal container. However I like quantity for making jam as well as figs for fresh consumption from July to Oct and some to share with friends.