Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fixing a butchered Fig

Posted by cindycfc California zone 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 11, 10 at 19:37

Our nephew pruned our fig tree a couple of years ago all the way back...no branches at all. We were floored. It grew out and is producing wonderful white figs (they are green, but I am told they are white), however, some of the branches are so high even with a 10' ladder I can't reach them, and there are a ton of little branches comming down that inter-tangle. I was surprised it survived, but it is very old, at least 30 years. How do I prune it and when, so that the branches grow out lower and don't go straight up and I can create not such a tangle on the lower ones. I had never pruned it before and it wasn't producing well, it is now but it needs some help. Help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fixing a butchered Fig

cindycfc I have read about what you need to do and seen some videos on it. I could parrot what I have learned. However I have never done it and I'm no expert. There are several experts though in the Fruit & Orchard forum who would be able to answer your every question.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit & Orchards Forum

o
RE: Fixing a butchered Fig

my dog pruned my fig tree to the ground and it survived, in fact it grew much faster than my other fig tree that was never pruned, so I'm inclined to say that doing something like that maybe once or twice in the tree's life could actually be good for the tree.
I have no input on pruning the tree. I have the opposite problem. I want my fig tree to get tall. I don't mind using a ladder, and I like the shade they can provide here in AZ.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here