Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsaist

Here's what to do with unripe figs

bonsaist
15 years ago

By now many of us will have lots of green unripe figs left on trees. I just finished making this delicious preserve with my unripe figs.

Here's a Turkish recipe I learned.

Pick the unripe figs that are almost full size but still hard. Cut the stems, (If you wish you may also peel the skin off.) Place in a pot, cover it with water and boil them for 5 minutes.

After they have been boiling for 5 minutes, drain the water and add new water and boil again. After 5 minutes, drain the water again.

Now you will notice that the figs are soft. Add enough water to cover the figs in the pot, then add the equal amount of sugar. So for every cup of water 1 cup of sugar.

Allow to boil for 15 minutes, then add a little bit of Cloves. Then allow the syrup to thicken then add the juice of half lemon. Let it cool, then place it in a jar.

It's absolutely delicious.

Enjoy

For more recipe, check out my website.

Bass

Here is a link that might be useful: Fig recipes

Comments (16)

• loslunasfarms
    15 years ago

As usual Bass, good posting. Also, your package is in the mail.

• dieseler
    15 years ago

Aw Bass you still have your tree's out and they still have figs at least you can look at them! : )
    Mine are sleeping, i had a frost burn on tip of italian unknown so i put them away they all lost leaves it seemed at same time but weather here has been up and down like most parts i guess. If this post was a couple weeks earlier i could have tried that recipe with the unknown as usual i had many large unripe figs some had turned but were not worth talking about , but thanks for shareing that recipe it looks greeat i like that picture of when there done so i can try next fall, thanks again.
    Martin

• wild_forager
    15 years ago

Great! Now I don't have to compost them anymore.

• german_figfriend
    15 years ago

It's a really excellent alternative solution to composting.
    How many cloves are a "little bit"? I don't want to overdose it with cloves.
    Have you tried to add some cinnamon? I think that could be worth a try.

• bonsaist
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I used about 1 teaspoon of cloves. Cinnoamon sticks have samiliarity to cloves but it's a lot stronger.
    bon apetit

• PTricia
    3 years ago

Wow Iv picked my figs and will make it tomorrow. Thanks so much for sharing

• Anne Tilmont
    3 years ago

I just read it is extremely important to follow the procedure ( boiling at least twice, removing the stem ). As the white latex like liquid is toxic and lots of allergies, sore lips etc

• Suzanne Gannon
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I've just made this, but at no point did I see any white latex-like liquid oozing from the figs, not even when I picked them. The figs were hardish, but not stonelike. I pierced them with a skewer and soaked in water overnight, then boiled them 3 times in fresh water before stewing in the sugar syrup. Do you think they might still have any of the toxicity in them or will they be safe to eat?

• HU-578157076
    3 years ago

Can i use brown suger.

• HU-578157076
    3 years ago

Can i use brown suger and ginger sticks

• HU-578157076
    3 years ago

Can i use brown suger. Regards Kevin

• HU-417421426
    2 years ago

Most of these recipes call for using nearly full sized figs, can you use those that are still smaller and immature or will they be too "green"? My figs came on late this year and now it's frost time already!

• HU-417421426
    2 years ago

Some of my unripe figs have been nipped by cold and are beginning to soften and droop as if ripe but the bottom has not opened so I don't believe they are. Can these still be used in a recipe like this and successfully mixed with the harder and greener figs? I am looking forward to not seeing so many figs go to waste this year when winter weather hits.

• Ghada Fakhoury
    last year

Variations, any flavor. Ginger, cinnamon, vanilla bean…

• Brooke Golightly
    last year

There is information out there about how to force ripen figs on the tree. You need to trim several ends off the woody stems and remove some leaves. The fig will send hormones out and help the remaining fruit ripen.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!