Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identification of fig leaf caterpillar

Posted by johngrew Sydney, Australia (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 20:58

Hi
Just wondering if someone can identify the caterpillar that is eating my fig tree (Black Genoa) leaves ?
(Picture below)
They are social caterpillars, clustering in packs and they skeletonise the leaves.

regards
John
Sydney, Australia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identification of fig leaf caterpillar

Another photo :

o

Dear Lord, they are terrible! We have nothing like them in Florida, USA.

Might I suggest you use a dusting of diatomaceous earth on the leaves and on the ground around the trees? It is all natural, environmentally safe, kid-safe, pet-safe, and actually does you some good if you were to 'accidentaly' eat some. It kills all bugs through physical action, scraping the waxy coating off the body, making the bug dehydrate and die. Works on big bugs and tiny bugs.

I use this:

o

• Posted by lukeott 7 south jersey (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 22, 12 at 11:02

Just a guess, cairns birdwing larvae or in the birdwing family possible.

luke

o

Did you try the diatomaceous earth? If you haven't, give it a try, it'll work. Let us know your results.

o

Hello John,

I have exactly the same problem. Did you manage to control the caterpillars?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here