Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marinfla

fruiting in Nov?

marinfla
13 years ago

Is it normal for a fig tree to fruit this time of the year?

I am in zone 10 and new to growing figs. I have lots to learn about the growth and care of fig trees.I have a containerized mango and citrus garden besides what's planted in the ground.

I went out to water my trees today and noticed at the very top of my magnolia fig tree is a fig developing next to the bud popping from the top of the branch. From all I have read I thought this was supposed to be a dormant period.

Comments (9)

• thisisme
    13 years ago

It all depends on climate. I just picked and ate a ripe yesterday. It was 80 here yesterday and it was 80 today.

Enjoy the weather and don't worry.

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

The figs from many culivars do not taste good right now. However, I'm still eating some pretty good figs from a few late season cultivars in my Zone 9 climate. In your zone 10 climate it is quite possible to have good figs into December. Lucky you.

Dan

• girlbug2
    13 years ago

Just harvested 6 Peters Honeys this week when the temps barely reached the 80s. A few Lattarullas are still in the hard green stage but if the weather warms up they may be ripening within the next month before the tree goes entirely dormant :). So it looks like we get 6 months of figs in zone 9/10

• wabikeguy
    13 years ago

My Kadota has many large figs ripening as we speak, as do several of my black missions. The kadota figs are not the best right now...they like a lot of heat to ripen, but the black mission figs are great. My VDM also have a few small figs ripening.

We are also still getting daytime temps into the 80's. Since my trees are still young, I began removing new figlets a couple of weeks ago.

This is my second year in this zone. Last winter my trees retained some leaves all through the winter and spring months. I'm still trying to get used to this myself.

Dave

• sergnic
    13 years ago

See my message "very late fig".
    But mine is I think a really strange variety.

• ejp3
    13 years ago

Today here in zone 7 I ate 4 brown turkey figs that I had forgot about on the tree. The plant is in a pot and due to garage space limitations will not be making it into the garage this year. They were ripe at least 9 days ago and were pretty good tasting for brown turkey. If any one local wants the tree come get it.

• giants_2007
    13 years ago

Hi marinfla, I am also in FL Port St Lucie zone 9b-10a. I have picked figs into Jan with good flavor. On young trees it might take a few years for them to adjust to a longer growing season. The biggest problem I have fond is leaf rust which can be helped with a copper spray at bud break and then another app 3-5 wks later just follow instructions. Can be purchased at HD or Lowes. here is a picture I took today of some ripening

• giants_2007
    13 years ago

Here is one I just found on ground ripe and flavorful

• marinfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Giants 2007 that is a gorgeous garden. I gave up on growing vegetables because the bugs ate all my plants and baby veggies last year. Now I just grow mangoes, citrus and fig trees. (I also germinated 8 cherimoya seedlings that I am nurturing along). That fig tree looks really awesome. I hope mine get bigger fast so I can enjoy lots of figs.

Epic3 you could wrap your tree in Christmas lights to give it some heat....where in NY are you?

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz