Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmadness

Figs from seed

gardenmadness
18 years ago

Hi All,

Brand new to fig growing and someone gave me a small green fig from their NJ garden this fall. Do you think I have much of a chance growing it from seed or do I just have to break down and spend money on plants. Anyone's input is greatly appreciated.

Lori

Comments (9)

• elder
    18 years ago

Growing a fig tree which produces good, edible fruit from seed seems to be a crap-shoot. Fig trees are relatively cheap, spend the money. Or you could perhaps get some cuttings from someone growing figs suitable for your area and methods.....Elder

• gardenmadness
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the follow-up, Elder. I was afraid you would say that. I just figured since there aren't many varieties hardy to zone 6 and I knew this fig was, I'd try it. I appreciate your input.

• herman2_gw
    18 years ago

Lori You are confusing me: Fig in new jersey does not have viable seeeds.Your tree might be grown from a cutting by your friend.Do you know for sure that your tree was grown from a seed by your friend.If you do, like Elder said is better to trow it away,than to keep.Go get a piece of wood from your friend and root it .You will have a tree by Spring if you start now.!!!!!

• Pierre_R
    18 years ago

Fig seedlings are usually from imported dry fruits seeds. Not rare at all and allmost never worth growing for fruits as the generaly indispensable pollinator is not present outside a few mediterranean countries.

• sergnic
    18 years ago

I'm writing from Italy, here never thinks to reproduce figs by seeds.
    This because figs, when is fecundate, (and frequently is not) is pollinized by wild varieties (as caprifig, wild type in Italy present), and for so don't produce good fruiting seedlings.
    Being that the "fruit" (siconio) may be quite "open" and may be (may) pollinized (in USA) by others insects than "Blastophaga" (European Fig wasp), the seeds, if are fertile, may produce every type of possible variety (from not-eatable and tringy, to quite good, (with more probability for the first one, according to any wild forbears), and a lot of year later.
    In fact the main variability is possible.
    The very easy rooting of cuttings discurages any kind of reproduction by seeds.
    Rooting of one feet apex of branches (cuttings) is easy in warm well watered soil, implanted in Feb-March, fruiting is early, and overall conserve quality.
    Reproducing by seed may be only one "difficult research", for amateurs, quite .. out of usual.
    Ciao, Sergio

• palmfan
    18 years ago

Forget growing figs from seed unless you want to experiment with attractive foliage plants. No fruit is likely to ripen. In fact, figs grown in New Jersey will likely NOT have viable seeds, but seed vestiges which will NOT germinate. Lori's friend may have the desirable small green fig I used to have in New York. It had a long neck and dripped juice from the eye when fully ripe. Any clues as to the variety I had?

• rosewomann
    18 years ago

Hi gardenmadness(Lori V.),
    I am trying to reach you here because you haven't answered my emails. Have you gotten them? After sending you 13 packs of commercial seed, I expected to hear from you. I have tried your email address & no response. I have no idea if you've gotten my emails-so I felt it would be best to contact you here as you may read the forums. Please contact me so you can let me know when you'll be sending your end of our trade. Thanks!
    Rose

• botanicalboi
    12 years ago

@ Herman, why are you always so rude? FYI I have several figs that are GREAT eating from seed" Just because you cant seem to do it does not make it true.

• soll1969
    10 years ago

"@ Herman, why are you always so rude? FYI I have several figs that are GREAT eating from seed" Just because you cant seem to do it does not make it true"

Hi Botanical, I'm currently toying with the idea of growing a Fig from seed, the variety is Violet De Bordeaux. What I'd like to ask you is what variety did you grow and was there anything in particular that you did to encourage germination ?

I look forward to your reply

Sol