Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marylandmojo

A little more about winterizing--and Wilt-Pruf

marylandmojo
18 years ago

Regarding Wilt-Pruf, which most people find expensive at about $10 a quart in a spray bottle--and most is lost in overspray during the spraying process--a quart of concentrate is also sold at about $20, which makes 5 quarts of Wilt-Pruf (5 parts water, 1 part Wilt-Pruf). This makes each quart cost $4, so a no-brainer as to which is more economical. Put it in a jar with a top, shake it up, and FORGET spraying. As mentioned, most is lost in overspray. Finally there's a use for those dumb little homeowner (faux) paint brushes that consist of a stick with a piece of sponge on the end--the perfect tool for applying Wilt-Pruf out of the jar, with no loss of product at all--and the sponge brush is really throw-away cheap. This tip for those who want to use Wilt-Pruf. Concerning the hardiness of figs in zone 7 and below (where they generally need Winter protection), many growers are of the opinion that it is the dessicating effects of the cold wind that is worse than the cold, itself. I agree, particularly when fig trees are NOT mulched, thereby allowing the soil under the tree to freeze solid and inhibit the tree-roots' ability to take up moisture. So, a deep, thick mulch which keeps the ground below the tree from freezing, is important (in my opinion), so the plant can take up moisture and replace that lost by dehydration. It seems also to make sense that the tree should be pruned before severe cold--seems that a low plant of any kind handles cold better than a tall one--it's closer to the ground, where even if the ground is frozen, it's warmer than if it were 8 feet in the air, with a temperature of 9 degrees, or so, as it was in my area last week (zone 7, Maryland). Just as our fingers and toes (extremities) freeze first in extreme cold, so do the extremities (branch-tips) of plants. So, pruned low to the ground with a heavy mulch seems to make sense. Then there's always that tall, gangly, sprawling, unkempt, unpruned fig tree, totally exposed to the weather, that your neighbor owns, that freezes not at all during Winter. Go figure.

Comments (6)

• palmfan
    18 years ago

After growing figs for years in Staten island, NY and the last few years in Cape May County, New Jersey, it is my opinion that duration of severe cold events, the varieties grown, and how established the plants are determine how they will fare in winter. My plants usually fared better than those that people had wrapped for the winter, Young figs are much less hardy than mature plants, I have not used wiltpruf on my figs.

• marylandmojo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Palmfan: I would have to agree with you just about completely, except to say that the variety and age of the plant (how much time it has survived at THAT location), supercede duration of severe cold events. I say this only because I know of a small number of specific Figs that have survived the past 40 years or so (that I'm aware of), In zones 6b and 7a and 7b, outdoors, inground, completely in the open and exposed, and not a bud has been Winterkilled, no matter how severe the Winter. So it's time spent at a specific location, and genetics, in my opinion--strictly because of what I've witnessed. And although I have numerous clones of these Figs, naturally, I didn't expect them to survive the first few Winters of their lives under severe weather conditions, without protection of some kind. It is my opinion that a Fig (and a large number of other plants)--if it is to live, naturally must endure the conditions in which it is placed, even if that requires adaptation over a period of time to those conditions. Like you, the hardiest Figs I know of have been in place many years. Two that I know of that lose not a single bud, no matter how cold the Winter has been in my area in the past 40 years, have been outdoors, inground, exposed, for over 100 years, each. And neither is ever pruned nor fertilized nor limed; and each gives thousands of Figs each season. I used Wilt-Pruf for the first time this year, and it didn't take me long to figure out what I posted above. Spraying a 1" diameter branch with a 3" spray means two thirds is lost to the air. The "sponge on a stick" is the perfect applicator, much better than a paint-brush I tried. I am not wrapping any of my Figs this Winter, just applying Wilt-Pruf--it's do or die. I'll certainly give my opinion of the experiment, in the Spring. Also I have left some of the same cultivars I Wilt-Prufed, without it, as a control--to see what happens to them vs. those Wilt-Prufed.
    I have pruned them all to about 3 feet, and mulched them all at least 10-12 inches--that is the protection I have given them. They are also situated on the south side of a 100 foot long fence, which gives them protection from the North wind. All are at least 3 years old, though none are really old (like the 100-year-old Figs I mentioned). I have seen a few signs that indicate this will NOT be a severe Winter in my area. Everyone else, here, predicts it will. We'll see what happens.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

Plants cannot adapt to the temperature conditions of a given site regardless of how long they have existed there. The measure of a plant's cold-hardiness is pre-determined by genetics and cannot be altered, except that cultural conditions have variable impact (time of year, prior exposure to chill, degree of hydration, etc.).

Young trees are nearly entirely dynamic mass and will exhibit a lesser degree of hardiness than their older counter-parts, especially rootage. Roots die incrementally and the lowest temperature they can tolerate varies with the age of rootage. In an imaginary tree, the young and nearly microscopic hair-roots might succumb to freeze damage at actual root temperatures of 25* F., or even higher. The slightly older, suberized but not fully lignified roots might endure to lows of around 20*, while the oldest and well-lignified roots are able to withstand the lowest temperatures of all root types.

Evidence to support the above can often be seen in plants that have suffered cold injury and are very slow to leaf out in spring. Freezing of tissues destroys stored photosynthate, reducing the trees energy reserves; and if the cold injury is severe enough to affect all but the hardiest rootage, the tree begins a new growth cycle in the spring much like a cutting w/o rootage. The tree calls on energy reserves to establish a root framework that is capable of moving water to the canopy before leaf-out occurs.

The above also offers explanation of why young trees with unlignified rootage are more tender than established trees.

Al

• elder
    18 years ago

Speaking of winterizing - my fig trees are enclosed in wire cages four feet tall, the same of which are filled with leaves. I also have mulched each tree with six inches of rotted horse manure. Today I was out checking my trees, and lo and behold about six of them had terminal buds which were opening. These buds were taller than the wire cage, thus not covered by the leaves. Obviously they will freeze before this cold season is over. Is this premature opening being caused by the mulch and leaf covering, or is it strictly a result of the warmer temps we have had for the past week (many days in the upper forties, some in the fifties)? I know there are several of you out there in the general DC area, are you having a similar experience?.....Elder

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

Soil temperatures are the driving force behind early leaf-out (Note that containerized trees always leaf out too early unless the containers are buried, because the soil warms earlier.). Secondary, but still contributors, are day-length and air temperature. The latter two cannot trump soil temperatures, but it's normal for several consecutive days of soil temperatures in the high 40s or low 50s to stimulate top growth.

Al

• ajr54s_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

Here'e My Metehod:

I HAVE 8 FIG TREES GROWING IN MY BACK YARD.

1- Cut back each fig tree to 5 feet high.
    2- Mulch the base rooting system with one foot of mulch to prevent freezing of the roots. I make my mulch by composting dry tree leaves, grass clippings and kitchen scraps throughout the summer months.
    3- Tie up and tighten each of the branches to form a closed umbrella.
    4- Wrap roofing tar paper around each fig tree leaving an openning on top.
    5- Wrap and tie roping around each fig tree and secure to a inground peg, i.e; a 2 foot stick banged into the ground next to each fig tree.
    6- Completely fill to the top, through the top openning - in each fig tree, with dry tree leaves.
    7- Top off each fig tree with used heavy weight paper to finalized the insulation.
    8- Covering the remaining top openning with tar paper and secure with roping.

I have been doing this for the last 5 years with great success.

Your fellow fig lover ----- Tony From Staten Island, NY