Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queuetue

Moldy, mushy cuttings

queuetue
10 years ago

Last week of November, I ordered some Lattarula cuttings and put them in my fridge to start them on Christmas day.

Well, when I opened them, whoever shipped them had wrapped them in soaking wet paper towel and sealed them in a freezer bag. I should have opened them as soon as I received them, so I learned something for the future.

They were coated in white mold and spots of the bark was very mushy - especially near any bud or branch scars.

I rinsed them in bleach water, and then washed them with triclosan, then rinsed them again in bleach water, wrapped with damp paper towel, then put them in plastic bag in a warm place.

Two days later, and a tiny bit of mold has started to grow from the top end, and I have repeated the washing process - am I wasting my time here?

Comments (4)

• nypd5229
    10 years ago

If you ever ship cuttings or get cuttings shipped to you, just use saran ( cling) wrap. The moisture within the cutting is enough to keep them from drying out. Some even ship loose with no problems.

I always ask for them that way.

• Pino's Figs http://FigNuts.Ca
    10 years ago

The bark being mushy is a bad sign probably rot. If that rot spreads then I can't see the cutting growing.
    Can you cut off the mushy part off cleanly and still have a couple of nodes left that are healthy?

• queuetue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, no part the bark is not soft, and every node was rotted out (washed away with the first rinsing.)

I agree, both are probably toast, and I've learned a lesson.

I'll pick up some lattarula somewhere else (anyone have any cuttings? :) ) and just keep these warm and humid to see what happens.

- Scott

• timmy2green
    10 years ago

Hey Scott, they're toast. May have even been killed by frost etc before they were even shipped if they were that bad but who really knows. Don't waste your time. Email me and I'll send ur email to someone who has some to get in touch w you.
    Timothy

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals