Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

Need advice about Lowe's clearance fig

Hello, I got a 'chicago hardy' fig off the clearance rack at Lowe's in early autumn. Very excited! I repotted it into a five gallon container with a mix of compost, sand and bark to hold until I could get it planted. Which I never did.
It dropped all its leaves (early, I thought, but maybe not) but still has green buds.

So, please, I need some advice about the best way to overwinter it, then plant it next spring. I think the garage is too cold--I lost a fig that I tried to keep there two years ago. Currently I have it in my cool (50F) basement, where there is some light from windows. This is where I overwinter my amaryllis and dahlias. Will this be a good environment for it? Do I need to water it (I don't water the amaryllis and dahlias)? Or would it be better to sink the pot into the ground and wrap it -- some other sites suggested this but mentioned that it needed to be kept dry. Our ground gets quite wet in winter.

I think that I may need to put it into my raised bed come spring, but that will be away from the house (I really don't have anywhere close to the house for it that isn't shady).

Thanks, I know that I will get good help here!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms