Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colmon

A few questions about my tree...

ColMon
11 years ago

Hey all .. I had this tree out all summer up here in southern New Hampshire. It did great, got really tall, produced 5 or 6 figs, seemed to like the spot it was in. In late August the leaves started to yellow and dry out, some dropped, so I brought it into our east facing sunroom with other plants. The two remaining leaves stayed nice and green, and the plant has been doing well. A couple months ago I setup a few incandescent spot lights for the plants in the room, the fig was receiving light but not direct.
Several weeks ago I rearranged the room and added 4 32w T8's and moved the tree across the room. It's getting more light but still not direct, and certainly not enough power to push it into a spring grow, so I thought..
About a week ago it started budding a couple leaves on top and a couple buds towards the top. Not that I'm complaining, but I just thought it would stay dormant for the winter..
I was planning on repotting, so now that it's vegging should I not repot?
Also, I've seen a lot of the trees people post and they have nice long branches and are full.. mine is tall, thin and the leaves grow right out from the trunk, no branches. The fruit it produced came right off where the leaves met the trunk. Is this just the species or is there anything I can do to make it grow full? I'm afraid it will eventually get too lanky and top heavy..
Thanks in advance, and sorry for the newbie questions :-))

ps ... I know that "Italian Fig" is not an accurate species description, but that's how the tag described the tree when I bought it..

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022