Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
budbackeast

December Free Cuttings

budbackeast
11 years ago

Several months ago, I offered free cuttings to any who asked. The list includes Shana, Hadi, Fred, Vincenzo, Doug, Tina and Sharon this season. Well, winter sure took its time getting here, but the trees are as dormant as they're gonna get, so here we go...

Last time I mailed out cuttings, most of them failed, having gotten mold growth. I just read a link saying to wrap them in cling wrap without wetting, so that is what I'm doing. I suggest that those who get them should toss them into the fridge until springtime.

There are two varieties in each shipment. Hope they do well.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good fig tree.

Comments (3)

• eukofios
    11 years ago

What works for me with mold is wash the cutting with a 10% bleach solution. So that's 1 measure of bleach with 9 measures of water. I let it dry off without rinsing.

I think using sphagnum moss as a rooting medium can also inhibit some mold. Not perfect, I have also heard of moldy sphagnum

I've rooted in seed-starting medium which is peatmoss and vermiculite. That seems to stay free of mold.

• budbackeast
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi eukofios,

I used to send cuttings damp in paper towels inside ziplock bags, but they usually failed the receivers. I read a recent thread about folks sending them dry, so this time I tried that. I have heard about the bleach idea, but I'm as chemical-free as possible. If the forum ever comees up with a fool-proof technique, I'll go with the group.

• eukofios
    11 years ago

Bud,
    The dry method should work. I've started a number of fig trees from cuttings sent dry in the mail, in plastic bag. Some times I've bleached, and some times not. I had not heard about sending them damp.
    Happy Growing!

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA