Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
December Free Cuttings

Posted by budbackeast FLORIDA (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 9:42

Several months ago, I offered free cuttings to any who asked. The list includes Shana, Hadi, Fred, Vincenzo, Doug, Tina and Sharon this season. Well, winter sure took its time getting here, but the trees are as dormant as they're gonna get, so here we go...

Last time I mailed out cuttings, most of them failed, having gotten mold growth. I just read a link saying to wrap them in cling wrap without wetting, so that is what I'm doing. I suggest that those who get them should toss them into the fridge until springtime.

There are two varieties in each shipment. Hope they do well.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good fig tree.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: December Free Cuttings

What works for me with mold is wash the cutting with a 10% bleach solution. So that's 1 measure of bleach with 9 measures of water. I let it dry off without rinsing.

I think using sphagnum moss as a rooting medium can also inhibit some mold. Not perfect, I have also heard of moldy sphagnum

I've rooted in seed-starting medium which is peatmoss and vermiculite. That seems to stay free of mold.

o

Hi eukofios,

I used to send cuttings damp in paper towels inside ziplock bags, but they usually failed the receivers. I read a recent thread about folks sending them dry, so this time I tried that. I have heard about the bleach idea, but I'm as chemical-free as possible. If the forum ever comees up with a fool-proof technique, I'll go with the group.

o

Bud,
The dry method should work. I've started a number of fig trees from cuttings sent dry in the mail, in plastic bag. Some times I've bleached, and some times not. I had not heard about sending them damp.
Happy Growing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here