Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
archon218

Always searching for Huge tasty figs-Found one!

archon218
13 years ago

So, I am trying to add to my collection. Anyone know of a fig that is green outside and strawberry inside that has fruit 3.5 to 4 inches wide!

These things are huge!! I tried to post the picture but I dont have time to fool with uploading to another site then linking it to the message. They should make it easier.

Anyways, I will provide a picture in a few weeks for everyone and I will have extra cuttings from it. Its delicious tasting like strawberry jam. Its firm and very high quality.

I would like to know if anyone knows the name of it based on its description?

Thanks

Comments (46)

• fredfig
    13 years ago

Archon... I only have four in-ground figs.
    One with figs that large intrigues me!
    Save me a couple of cuttings. Let me know price. Fred

• robert_2007
    13 years ago

Hello, ARCHON218.

That does sound like a very interesting find.

I would be interested in either trading with you or buying some cuttings.

Can trade: MARSEILLES BLACK VS VS, cold hardy and reliable in the north. Has a berry like flavor ----- SAL'S EL, Sweet, cold hardy and one of the standards for the north -----HARDY HARTFORD, cold hardy, been growing in Hartford, CT. outside without winter protection for over 30 years. Nice vanilla flavor. So far, my favorite for flavor out of the 12 we grow outside in Connecticut. Also, BAYERNFEIGE VIOLETTA a new fig from Europe. Nice breba crops in July

What climate zone are you in?

• ejp3
    13 years ago

Could possibly be brunswick. What does the eye look like?
    Arch, what else are you growing? Sounds like Hardy Hartford is better tasting than mar vs and sals? Those are 2 pretty good tasting figs! E-mail me if you want to trade cuttings. I have a few different types.

• gorgi
    13 years ago

My (easy-souring) 3 Brunswick(s) figs definitely do
    not have any "green outside"; I presume skin.

• noss
    13 years ago

Vanilla!!?? That sounds so good. Do you know how HH does in hot, humid climates? Does it sour in the rain?

noss

• archon218
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I have gotten a lot of emails and have not been able to reply with the holiday season keeping me busy. I will post at the end of Jan about trading cuttings for this fig. I just thought someone surely would know it since it seems distincly big. It has a tight eye, all green outside and straberry strong red color inside. I will post pictures soon after the holidays and I will provide cuttings. I am personally getting them from another person who has a 30 yr old tree, so there will be plenty for everyone.

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

If you would say what climate you are in as Robert asked,that will be a lot of Help to many people:
    You see large green figs require more heat to get ripe and so not everyone have Long hot Sommer climate,but by the contrary.

• igo4fish
    13 years ago

hi, Archon! I would be interested in some cuttings from that tree. I have a few to trade if you are interested. They are listed in my tradelist. If not, I would gladly send you the envelope and postage to cover the expenses. You can contact me at go4broek at msn dot com. Thanks a lot!- Ruben

• archon218
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The tree is from zone 7b. It takes 10 deg F temp without protection with no problems. I can't speak about where else it can grow or other zones it can take. It has 2 crops, both of equal size and quality. I would think even up north you could get at least one good crop off.

The tree is planted in the ground and is a very big old tree, so that may help it with the large fruit. I'm surprised no one knows of it's name, maybe it's a mutation.

• greendesert
    13 years ago

haha... after the holidays eh? in that case I can't wait for the holidays to be over. forget the holidays, I want big figs too. please add me to the list of people interested in cuttings. ulicip02 at yahoo dot com. (of course I'm willing to pay for the cuttings)

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

I am also intterested in Buying cuttings from this very large fruitted tree.
    Add me on your list,please.

• robert_2007
    13 years ago

archon, can you describe what type of flavor your large fig has, and how much sweetness on a scale of 1 to 10.

Thanks for the cold hardy rating you gave it. Could you also tell us what state your in? That way we might be able to guess at how many heat units it might need to duplicate your results.

I have not been growing figs long enough to identify them from pictures. But the largest figs I have ever seen, as large as a kiefer pear. If you go to Figs 4 Fun web site and click varieties, then click Dalmatie, you will see a pear leaf, and fruit that might???? be like the one you found. At any rate Dalmatie is the largest fig I have every seen.

Bob

Thanks again

Bob

• daygrower
    13 years ago

I am interseted in buying some cuttings please add me to the list
    Thanks
    Jim

• coolvol
    13 years ago

I am interested in buying some cuttings; please add me to your list.I am at : coolvol@comcast.net.
    Thanks,
    Dennis

• ben_in_sofla
    13 years ago

Archon, tks for posting, looks like a great find. I am also interested in a few cuttings, let me know amount or I have a somewhat similar type of fig to trade, called ficazzana (white) very large fig originally from Sicily, I have pictures available. I can either send you some cuttings or air layer a branch for you and ship it already rooted

Contact me at bcangialzzz@yahoo.com

Ben

• winterville
    13 years ago

Archon,
    That is what I hve been wishing for also. Please put me on your list I will gladly pay for them just let me know what I owe. Thank you for sharing with us.
    Mike.

• fredfig
    13 years ago

Archon... It looks like you have many takers!
    Please add me to the list. Only 4 or 5 cuttings will do. Tell me total price prior to mailing.. I'll quickly send it ! tHANKS, fRED

• debbies_cockatiels_2
    13 years ago

Hi Archon, Please add me to your List for Huge Fig Cutting
    I can pay or I can send you my list of figs that I have To trade.
    Thank You,
    Debbie
    Email at debbiescockatiels at yahoo dot com

• jbclem
    13 years ago

Archon, please add me to your list. I'm new to this so I don't yet have any to trade, but I hope we can work something out.

jbclem1@charterdotnet

John

• greendumb
    13 years ago

I would also like some cuttings and will be happy to pay.nunley_nunley@msn.com432-244-9037

• vito12831
    13 years ago

Hi Archon
    I am also iterested in buying some cuttings from that fig tree.-vtrapani@nycap.rr.com
    Vito

• texascockatoos
    13 years ago

Hello Archon,

I would be interested in some cuttings if you have enough.
    I have several varieties to trade or would be glad to purchase some cuttings. Thanks for offering and look forward to seeing the pictures.

Cathy (south central texas)
    cherapaca@windstream.net

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Robert,

Would you please email me at menoceros@yahoo.com? I have some questions I'd like to ask you, please.

Thanks,

noss

• pm920
    13 years ago

hi, Archon! I would be interested in some cuttings Paulmem@juno.com Thank you
    Id be willing to pay for them
    thanks
    Paul

• fignut
    13 years ago

If something is too good to be true....

Fig collector signs up recently to Fig Forum.
    Fig collector has marvelous figs to trade.
    Fig collector has plenty of cuttings for everybody.
    Fig collector wants big cuttings.

My apologies if I'm wrong, but this is fishy.

• fignut
    13 years ago

Right or wrong my previous post was out of line. I apologize.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Most people refer to fig taste like strawberry and I object. If I want strawberry I eat strawberry I want Figs. I was raised in Egypt on Figs. My Dad had 200 tree orchard. Those Figs dark brown outside and when you bite it its Juice sweater than honey seeps in your mouth. I miss these Figs. They used to call it Teen Barchoomy, I have no idea of the English equivalent. Please excuse me I am a Fig Nut and when it comes to Figs I am very Bias.

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi FP,

I hear you. I feel the same as you about berry taste, etc. Not that they aren't probably delicious, but the first figs I ever ate were those that tasted like figs and I love that flavor. Even the Atreano Herman let me taste tasted like a fig. I loved it. My mouth is watering just hearing about the figs you grew up with. How lucky you were that your Dad had a fig orchard! I'm so glad my grandparents had the two trees they did and I got to eat them every summer we would visit with them at their house. Great memories we have, no?

Did your figs need the fig wasp to make good figs?

noss

• big_al_41
    13 years ago

If you don't mind please add me to your list ...my email is in my profile ....I have a black jack to trade or I can pay either way ..please add me thanks and let me know.

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

If I may be too...I think you will have no tree by the time your done. Wow.

I e-mailed you days ago too. I hope you got it:-)

Mike

• joanne8777
    13 years ago

I'm a newbie to gardening but I am landscaping in edibles. Please add me to your list as I would really like to try growing a fig tree! Our neighbor had one when I was a little girl and it was simply delicious! I will pay for postage and the cutting. Thanks for considering my request!

joanne8777@hotmail.com

• dbkh
    13 years ago

Yes, if you have any tree left, please let me know the cost.
    Thanks

• ruivo
    13 years ago

Hi,

i would also be interested in a few cuttings. I have a fig tree from Portugal that also is supposed to produce very large figs (brown) in June/July. I brought a cutting from the mother tree (my brother's backyard) and in one year it grew over 3 feet. My brother teases me every summer about how tasty and large these figs are. I can trade cuttings if you're interested. Please email me luisrdias at gmail dot com.

• gorgi
    13 years ago

Man!
    This fig tree source must be huge; considering the
    number of twig requests with a no-stop post. No, I
    am not requesting any, I already have way too many
    unknows. Best of luck for all the rest...

• archon218
    Original Author
    13 years ago

To say the least my email has been overwhelmed with messages. I didn't want to cause a rampage but I was willing to give some people cuttings but not to the number of responses I have recieved. So to be fair, the people that cared to trade with me will recieve cuttings when they are available on top of what I traded them from my trees.

Thanks I will try to offer up some airlayered pieces later in the summer for people or you can get cuttings down the road when I have more time or from people who will have them. Thanks to all. I'm done trading for this year. I will ship my final trades this week.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Thanks

Mike

• igo4fish
    13 years ago

Welcome back, Archon218! Hope your trip went better than expected. Will you be able to post the pic(s) you mentioned on the OP? Also, any additional info about it like breba and/or main crop harvest dates, origin, lobe count and type, etc. If it's too much of a hassle, can you at least email the pic(s)? Thanks and enjoy your new fig!-Ruben

• dragonking1959
    13 years ago

I will love to buy cuttings from you,
    My e-mail address Krell44@aol.com
    Thank you!
    Olya

• lee_in_iowa
    13 years ago

I am certain after all these replies that you have clipped your source tree clear to the ground! But would you put me on your list for next year? Cuttings I should have to trade (growing them on now, going into their second summers) are Alma, Castle Kennedy, CHicago Hardy, a "Giant Celeste" bought on eBay (so could be anything but sure is lively), an "Italian Giant White" (same story; not from anyone known to be a shyster, but from an unknown dealer AngelMan56), plus some things I have coming in the mail from Edible Landscapes, namely, LSU Purple, COnadria, violet de Bordeaux, Lattarula, and Oregon Prolific.

Thanks, Lee (ProfLeeJolliffe@gmail.com)

PS Don't fear for your plants, I have a huge walk-out basement where they live all winter.

• Ann
    12 years ago

Hello Archon 218,

I stumbled across your post looking for my old post about a found fig. If you have cuttings available this year, I'd love some! The only things I have to trade are Celeste, Sal's (indirect from Gene), and this giant found fig in northern VA (I will post about it in a minute or two. But I'd be willing to pay for cuttings of your tree.

Please email me at dogcatlady@yahoo.com. I'm trying to change my email here at Gardenweb but not sure it will work.

Thanks!

Ann

• lukeott
    12 years ago

hello Archon,
    you can add me to your list also. I know the list is long, but if it's as big as you say it could use a good trim. as always good health, Luke

• igo4fish
    12 years ago

Did anyone else get these cuttings from Archon218? I was one of the first four people to ask for some and I also traded with him for a Fiorone di Ruvo (FdR) he claimed to have back in early February. The one small "huge tasty fig" cutting I recieved was very thin and not hardened and came with a smashed terminal tip. The cutting quickly died after starting it and he promised to replace it (never did). The FdR cuttings I received have turned out not to be what I traded for either. No idea what it is yet since it has not fruited, but from the leaf shape alone I can tell you it will not be a FdR. Personally, I doubt the existance of this fantastical tree. Collectors beware!

• evladi7654
    11 years ago

Hi ! I have hundreds of cuttings from my Italian and Portuguese trees collection. I am selling them cheap and in any quantities. Email me if anyone is interested to expand his collection. I also have 3 varieties with Big figs and I will trade their cuttings for the same type of Figs.

• marc.o
    11 years ago

This fantastical tree, according to the description, seems to be Dalmatie : (http://www.fig-baud.com/cataloguefiguiers/catdalmatie.html ) a common french fig tree.
    I have one : giant green figs with a dark red inside with a hint of vanilla taste, the tree is rather small but I am shure it can get big if not trimed. It's a bizare looking tree because the branches are really thin and the fruits huge!
    The fruits are really sweet and tastfull but the brebas don't like cold springs although the tree is very cold resistant.Go to Google image, type "figuier dalmatie" you'll find many pictures.
    Marc.o

• vitalucky
    10 years ago

So what happened? Did anyone get this huge fig?
    Did anyone identify it? Will there be more cuttings avaliable?

• ottawan_z5a
    10 years ago

The cuttings from archon, if rooted by receivers, would have gone through three summers (2011, 2012 & 2013) by now. There should be someone, who received the cuttings, to make comments on the fig to break the suspense.