Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
green house

Posted by gman61 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 17, 10 at 11:27

I built an unheated green house that comes off the barn,, i put my potted 1 and 2 year old dormant fig tree's and also persimmon and medlars in there, it still drops down to 20 degrees but also has lots of light. Was wondering if the dormant trees should be covered from the light and kept in darkness? was hoping to give them an early start. What do you guys think?

thanks
gman

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: green house

You are in Zone 5 and an unheated garage can be a risky place to give your figs an early start. If the plants sprout after waking up from dormancy and then get unexpcted very low temperatures in the unheated garage then the new growth can die and delay the growing process more than if you give them an early start in the spring where a greenhouse cover can protect them from frost in otherwise less cold weather and a good chance of early start.
I am saying this only from the point of view that the unheated garage can be a less relaible place for early start. If you can make sure that you can provide auxilary heat then it is different situation and early start may help.

o

I don't think the light will make them come out of dormancy. Heat would. No need to cover. FYI I have a greenhouse attached to my home but I add some heat from my woodstove to keep it above freezing in there. The figs have gotten down to 24*F with no damage but I'm not interested in pushing the mercury any lower.

o

gman, Large fluctuations in temperature should be avoided. If your greenhouse heats up during the day and cools off dramatically at night, you are very likely going to kill your plants. It doesn't matter if the temperature only goes to 20.

Direct sunlight can be a problem. I had plants on the west side of a greenhouse that were heated by sunlight while frozen and they all died. Now, I put up a reflective barrier to protect overwintering plants from radiational heating on the west side.

If you want to keep them in the greenhouse over the winter you should heat to avoid large temperature fluctuations - otherwise put them in an area that has slowly fluctuating temps. And if you want an early start, as ottawan mentioned above, you will have to heat the house to avoid freezing after growth starts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here