Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cazimere_gw

Winter Wind Blocking in Zone 7

cazimere
11 years ago

Been growing figs for several years now. The first couple winters i tried covering figs with leaves or wrapping with insulation with limited success.
Since then i have used a Wind Blocking method, with 100% success. I put 3, 2"X 2" stakes in the ground and after i get a hard frost and all the leaves have fallen (which i collect for tea : ) i then staple plastic, house wrap or landscaping cloth around the 2X2's. I leave the tops open and the bottom is "not" sealed to the ground. My theory is that the winter winds suck the moisture from these soft woody plants very easily, just as it does to your exposed skin and lips in winter, causing irreparable damage to the tender and thin bark & fiber of the young trunks and stems.
I've grown Sals, Violette Du Bordeaux, Noire De Caromb, Kathleen Black, Lsu Gold and several wonderful unnamed varieties that i have collected locally. I only protect them the first 2 winters, then they stay in ground without protection and i've not lost one yet. I'm sure this would not work for all varieties, some being less hardy than the figs i've grown.

Comments (8)

• Ernie
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing this, cazimere. The simplicity is appealing, as is your success rate.

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi,

Your method is interesting but I
    doubt it will work well with zones that
    are 6 and below as the northern wind is dry and harsh.

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I really like the way you do it because I am doing some thing similar. I have 6 fig trees in a raised bed where one side is the house. I made a wooden frame around the bed and planning to cover it with green house plastic sheets. Mine will be completely closed top and sides occationally I will open one side for air or if is too cold I will provide air with a fan. I don't care if it gets warm and the trees start blooming early I welcome that I might increase my season with couple of months. I brought my potted trees inside the house they have light track and fertilizer and they are blooming. I am looking for ways to beat our darn cold winter. I have Citrus trees too which is giving me a fit. May garage is turned to a little orchid. I am so glad to report that we have not had a freezing temp yet. The lowest temp my plant meter registered is 38 at night and 40s during the day. I am crossing my fingers to stay that way. May be AL Gore global warming is true.

• radovan
    11 years ago

Cazimere, if I am right some years ago you got fig cuttings from some Serbian (Yugoslavian) man from Vancouver ? Those figs are supposed to be very BIG? I am just wondering did you try to leave them outside without winter protection= did they survive.

I got the same figs from the same man (by the way He is a University professor in British Columbia) and those figs are Quarter Pounders as somebody in U.S.A calls them.
    I did not leave them unprotected yet since they are very young but I am getting very very fragile, sick, old for any work and I might leave them outside (unprotected) next coming winter? although I am in Zone 5b .

Thank you very much.

***** All , I do not have Email address any more, I forgot everything but as soon as I manage to make one I will post it here so we can be in touch.

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi to all fig members here in this Garden Forum:

Has anyone ever purchased the "BARDACIK FIG TREE CUTTINGS 3 PCS" offered on eBay?

Every time when I go on eBay, I
    just can't stop myself from looking at this ad.
    From the picture, the pulp looks so full, sweet and its skin appears to be thin. I wonder if the wasp is needed
    to pollinate this fig?

Thanks!

• wildforager
    11 years ago

I have two unknowns in the ground right now and they're protected like this. I used cardboard instead of plastic. I'll let you know how they fair in my zone. Looks good so far.

• cazimere
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Radovan, I did grow them a couple years unprotected but was not impressed with their taste compared to other figs i was growing. I got rid of a lot of figs and kept my favorites.

Fignewbies, Try starting your own thread.

• radovan
    11 years ago

Thank you cazimere, nice to know.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm