Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing figs

Posted by jmcrut NC - 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 12:04

Hi all,

A few months ago, I purchased 3 fig trees - Hardy Chicago, VdB, and LSU Purple that I will be growing in containers. They came in quart size pots and are roughly 1.5 feet tall. I have decided to grow them in the gritty mix and have just located the ingredients. I have thought about leaving the pine bark out of the mix so that it is easier to re-use. If I do this, is there anything that might go wrong? Would I just mix the turface and granite 1:1?

Is it un-wise to re-use the inorganic portion of the gritty mix (e.g. do salts accumulate)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing figs

In case you haven't read it already, I'm including a link to a thread in the Container Gardening forum that should help to answer your questions. Specifically, here's what tapla has to say about reusing gritty mix and eliminating the bark component:

"Barring any incidence of disease, there is no reason you couldn't use the inorganic fractions of the gritty mix indefinitely. The problem, if you intend to use the gritty mix so it performs at its best, lies in how to separate all the fine particles of organic material from the inorganic material. From my own perspective, the effort isn't worth it."

"Screened Turface MVP mixed 1:1 with Gran-I-Grit in grower size or with #2 cherrystone will provide a well-aerated medium that will last indefinitely. Though you won't need to worry about removing the bark particles to reuse it, you will need to remove organic material shed from roots and old roots themselves, so it's going to present roughly the same picture as reusing the gritty mix."

One other thing to consider is weight -- gritty mix is very heavy, and bark is by far the lightest component.

Here is a link that might be useful: Re-using Gritty Mix

This post was edited by shazaam on Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 16:09

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here