Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does "LSU Purple" really resist nematodes?

Posted by gonebananas 7/8 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 12:05

Significantly or notably, I mean?

Is it worth using as a rootstock for others?

Or is its resistance largely a myth or of minor significance?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does "LSU Purple" really resist nematodes?

Are nematodes a significant problem with growing figs?
I have not seen the problem in my area but appreciate that there may be areas that are plagued by this.
A follow-up question;
Vinifera grapes are grafted on various disease resistant and various vigour controlling rootstocks. (s04, 3309 ...)
Are there proven rootstocks that are used for figs?

o

Root-knot nematodes are probably the main limit to edible fig growing in the ground in warm, moist, sand soils, being most of the SEUS coastal plain.

Most of the non-"carica" Ficuses that seem to tolerate nematodes are tropical and thus not of much use, even experimentally, north of southern Florida. They are also much larger trees. (One native fig trees has small but decent-to-eat fruit, if you can beat the squawking flocks of feral? parrots to them.)

o

LSU Purple is a very vigorous grower. It is the strongest grower of the fig trees that I have. Because it is such a strong grower it should be able to handle RKN better than most ficus carica varieties. The nematodes will go after the roots, but if the tree is able to keep growing new roots it should be able to withstand the nematodes as long as the infestation is not too severe.

Joe

o

• Posted by gorgi z6b_NJ (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 19:43

The LSU.Purple fig has long been 'touted' as RKN 'resistant' (but not immune).
So far I have not seen any scientific study/report on the subject.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here