Fig tree/How old till they bear fruit

Posted by Gail1454 none (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 13:09

I planted a fig and am wondering when I can expect fruit

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fig tree/How old till they bear fruit

Gail
Just having a fig fruit on a plant rooted from cutting can happen in the 2nd summer of the plant life (though some plants may surprise you with a couple of figs in the first summer if rooted in the early winter). The 3rd summer you can expect a dozen or more figs depending on the growth pattern, summer heat and summer length. Full production peaking sometimes between the 5th and 7th year. Of course there are many variable that can change the production volume and pattern such as care or lack of it, fertilization, proper pruning etc.
Ripening of figs on the plants is a different issue.

o
RE: Fig tree/How old till they bear fruit

Two to three seasons are reasonable. Some people do not allow their trees to produce when young. It should be established first. I could not afford to do that when I started but now with more than 20 fig trees I can,
Abe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here