Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackfre

80' x80' fig

jackfre
11 years ago

First post! I have read many of the fig pruning posts but my fig is unique, I think. I have a fig on my place here in the foothills of N CA. It grows down the back slope and when I pace it off it is about 80' sq. It just lopes down the slope. To say it is overgrown is the mildest form of understatement. It is also interlaced with blackberries. It is growing horizontally about 5' per year. I have to cut it back on the margins about 10-15' all around. That is the new growth. I also am going in to eliminate the blackberries and old dead growth. I will cut the BB stems and pull them out, get the dead wood out and dig the bb roots. Quite a project, but it is such a neat plant. I'm afraid I am going to kill it if I go too hard. You cannot believe the amount of wildlife in that fig. Until thinned I won't go in it in the summer. To tight for comfort. Call me a chicken, but the cat doesn't even go in there. Once thinned it will be my sitting place in the summer. Any suggestions on how to handle this? It bears very well, but is to tight to harvest the figs. The birds and everything else loves them though.

Comments (11)

• pappy52
    11 years ago

I'd like to see it, can you post photo of it? How tall is it?
    Thanks
    Pappy
    Matthew 7:12

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi,

Sounds like a huge tree to me!
    What is the color of the fig and the inside pulp?

• jackfre
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was up in it this past fall and was about 10-12 ft up on a branch that held me well. However, I was right above the blackberries, so I got out of there.

Color of the figs is dark brown to black...ish. Meat is a yellow to golden color. Tastie!

• jackfre
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another

• jackfre
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another View

• jackfre
    Original Author
    11 years ago

last

• pappy52
    11 years ago

Must look awesome during the fruiting season.
    Thanks for the pics

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi,

Wow! It doesn't look exactly a fig tree, I would
    call it "a fig forest"! It is such an overwhelming sight!!!

I only have 1 almost 4 feet tall fig tree.
    Next spring I will have 4 more to add to my collection.

If I have to prune through this "fig forest",
    my first step would to remove all the blackberry branches to clear the way so I can see the fig branches much better.
    And I would do this before the fig tree and the blackberry
    tree put out leaves.
    It would be much easier and safer to prune as animals or
    little creatures during this period of time are less likely to hide, nest or eat the fruits of the trees. You certainly don't want to be surprised or worse be bitten by those creatures since they carry harmful viruses!

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

Wholly Cow it is a big tree.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

And I thought mine was big! Mine is much taller but not quite as wide. I did some heavy pruning on it last weekend to open it up and let the smaller trees that have sprouted from the limbs on the ground and the main tree get some light.

I'm not finished yet, I had to stop after about 3 hours because I am missing a lot of skin and blood. Bruises in all kind of places! LOL

Pics of mine are in a former post below.

Here is a link that might be useful: My fig

• jackfre
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looks like we are lucky to be suffering from the same affliction;) Interestingly, my fig is downslope from the leach field as well. I think I am going after the BB's and old dead growth first. Then I should be able to at least really see what I have there. I am hoping once I get this trimmed back that I can start getting it to gain some vertical growth. I look forward to seeing how yours progresses and will keep you advised too. Thanks for the link!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County