Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccc1_gw

Winter Protection - Bending trees to ground & cover (w/ pics)

ccc1
14 years ago

I've been meaning to post a more details about how I'm doin this, but I've become a new daddy recently and haven't had much time... Anyway, here one way to protect an in-ground tree from our Canadian winters.

This is my 4th year doing this, and I haven't had any die-back problems on the covered parts so far. Here's a couple of shots showing how flexable a fig tree is. The tree shown has a trunk diameter that's a little above an inch and was a bit over 6' tall. Anything that you can't bend, you cut or just leave to die...

I went back about a week later to tighten the ropes to bend it even closer to the ground, and to add some leaves and straw.

There are actually 3 trees under that pile! (1 Bugasota & 2 Desert Kings).

Comments (11)

• staticx
    14 years ago

i think maybe if you put a shovel on the opposite side of where your gonna bend it,it will go down further to the ground.im new so i dont know how the loss of some roots will effect the plants.

congrats on being a father too

• ccc1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, but they also will bend quit a bit if you do it slowly over a couple of weeks, so there's no need to go breaking roots. This a lazy but effective way to protect a fig tree against our Canadian winters without digging a trench. Credit for this technique goes to Adriano.

• paully22
    14 years ago

Congratulations ccc1 for being a new daddy. Would like to try method with my smaller DK or Latarrula. Thanks for posting the pics.

• intrepid_artist
    14 years ago

Hmmm, I had heard of someone's father-in-law doing this in Michigan, which is what got me thinking I might be able to have a fig in Minneapolis, MN. How cold does it get where you are?

• ccc1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We usually hit -10*F to -15*F each year but get hit with -30's every few years. This method might work fine in Minneapolis, but you'll probably have to make sure that there is a good 8" or more of dry leaves on top of your tree to keep things warm. Also, throw some snow over the whole thing, as that will also help.

Some enhancements mentioned at the other forum:

1) use a tarp instead of the clear plastic - more breathable and helps prevent heat buildup during sunny days

2) add some mothballs in there to keep the rodents out.

Anyway, try it out over there and report back to us if it worked out or not!

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

ccc1, Congrats for being a new daddy. You will be a lot busier from now on.

Thank you for posting it the picture of it along with details. I am always wondering how people actually do it. I just planted my fig tree in ground. it looks very happy about it.

I am a little worried about the figs may not be fully ripe before winter comes. When the tree in the pot, it has baby fig on the tree over winter. But the in ground tree can't do that. Would you report the fig production of your in ground fig tree?

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Thank you for posting it the picture of it along with details. I am always wondering how people actually do it. I just planted my fig tree in ground. it looks very happy about it.

I am a little worried about the figs may not be fully ripe before winter comes. When the tree in the pot, it has baby fig on the tree over winter. But the in ground tree can't do that. Would you report the fig production of your in ground fig tree?

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi, olympia_gardener:

Looks like ccc1 has forgotten about this forum.
    I suppose the baby (now a toddler) must be keeping
    him busy.
    I have my previously indoor fig tree transplanted
    into the ground this July.
    It is almost 4 ft tall. I don't want to bury the tree,
    So ccc1's info on winterization helps me.

What is the story of your fig tree(s)?

fignewbies

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

hi, Fignewbies. I planted my fig tree in early spring . It grows and fruits... Got more fruits than it was in the pot. Now, the leaves are all fallen off. I am waiting for the weather getting stead cold before I bury it. But, this is not the only way, you don't have to dig and bury it. You can just wrap it with thick enough insulation material and bundle it , that will work too.

I decide to bury mine this year, but might be tired of digging and try other methods next year.

• cis4elk
    11 years ago

I've been wondering if somehow incorperating the compost pile would work? That is, rather than covering the tree with dirt, use the giant fall compost pile after it cools down a bit. Every fall when I add all my yard leaves and debris and soak it down it get's hot, but then winter settles in and it cools down.
    So why not at that point, transfer the pile to cover the bent over fig tree? It will generate some heat and still insulate. I have a pineapple plant growing in a pot, which I found rooting in the middle of my compost pile a couple of springs ago.
    The only point I contemplate about is whether a person would be best of first covering the fig tree with dry leaves or straw and then something like a cheap old sheet or plastic and then put the compost on as a top layer. That way I think a person would be least apt to damage the tree too much while digging it out in the spring.

Thoughts?