Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bought a fig tree at a garage sale in late October.

Posted by kumquat1 8b N Fla (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 11, 10 at 13:40

The sellers seemed to be from the arab/asian world. I asked what kind of tree. They said "Turkish" or "Turkey". There was a bit of a language barrier. Still in 10" pot, as I broke my leg and not able to plant it. We put the pot on the front (south-facing) porch, uncovered. We are on a bayou, so it doesn't get as cold here as it does inland. It has been in the upper 20's here for several nights, and the little cutie has a baby fig (BB size) on it, and has tolerated the cold like a champ. I am very excited about this tree. Do you think it is an early and late-bearing type tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bought a fig tree at a garage sale in late October.

Only time will tell what you really have. There are lots of figs in Turkey that need pollination and, as far as I know, you don't have the fig wasp in FL. On the other hand it could be a Brown Turkey fig and then you'll be getting figs that will be edible in 2011 by the sounds of it. Please keep us posted, I'm sure others would like to find out what kind of fig you may have.

o
RE: Bought a fig tree at a garage sale in late October.

I guess I will have to wait till the fruit matures, as you suggest, when/if that happens. The leaves are not like Celeste. Could just be a Br. Turkey. Will update the forum if anything "big" happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here