Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Putting potted figs into the ground.

Posted by NorCalNiko USDA 9 Sunset 16/17 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 13:48

I'm getting ready to put my newly dormant figs into the ground. They've been in pots for two years, in Al's soil mix.

My native soil is very clayish. I've chosen a couple good sunny spots. I know it is generally frowned upon to amend the hole much, but because it's so clayish, I'm planning on going 50/50 native and potting soil, lots of mulch on top, then adding some granular fertilizer on first blush in the Spring.

I wanted to get some more experienced opinions on the wisest way to handle this move...

Thanks in advance!
Niko.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Putting potted figs into the ground.

Have you considered planting them in a raised bed or mound? I also have clay soil, and that method has worked very well for my figs (as well as a number of other fruits).

o

I second shazaam's suggestion.

We also have heavy clay soil. Figs do great in it when I plant them in raised beds or high and throw a lot of compost and straw around them so that they are in a mound. Also, mulch heavily (again...I use straw) The mulch will break down over time and add nutrients to the soil. It will also help the clay soil remain moist, so it doesn't bake into adobe/concrete in the summer heat.

Also...you might want to wait untill all chance of frost is past before putting them in ground. They're kind of sensitive for a couple month after being transplanted.

o

SHAZAAM has a good idea I use raised beds too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here