Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johndougg

need advice on my fig enclosure (pic attached)

johndoug
12 years ago

hi,

{{gwi:79989}}

i made several enclosures for my new fig trees this year, and my father wondered if they would retain moisture as they don't have any airflow, and this moisture would not be good for the tree.

the enclosures are metal fence/chickenwire cyclinders, and then wrapped in the aluminum insulation.

the one you see is fastened to the ground tight, and on my others, i actually piled dirt around the bottom so no air got in to keep it warm.

on one, i packed the inside full of leaves, on another, no leaves at all just air.

please provide your thoughts on whether you think moisture would be a problem, and whether leaves are better or not.

thanks!

Comments (11)

• lukeott
    12 years ago

i think it looks great, the only thing missing is rockets attached to it. really does look good, professional.

• johndoug
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ha ha...thanks so much for the laugh...rockets! i know what i'm doing next weekend!

• cazimere
    12 years ago

Your going to want some ventilation to prevent fungus and rot.

• wildforager
    12 years ago

I agree, a couple of vent holes on top and bottom would be a good idea.

• harvey12
    12 years ago

Your enclosure looks great, but I would be hesitant to construct one for my own use, for two reasons. An external barrier against water and wind is not necessary. I use a poultry wire cylinder in the same manner as you use this one. I stuff it with leaves, usually shredded, because I have a leaf mulcher. I am always amazed that the leaves in the center are dry at the end of the winter season. The second reason is that I think the plant needs some air exchange, to prevent mold and to evaporate excess moisture. Thanks for showing us this example of excellent workmanship, and I would appreciate an evaluation next summer. Maybe I'm wrong!

• johndoug
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you so much harvey for your response. i should have done more research before creating these things. they weren't cheap and took a while to make. i said earlier i made "a few", but i actually made 14. i was embarrassed to admit it if it was a bad design! i had seen people wrap the plants with tarps, and read how important it is to keep them dry. so i figured i needed an enclosure, but i didn't think too much about airflow or moisture. as some people bury the entire tree under the soil, i figured that would keep the branches just as moist as keeping it in an enclosure. but i guess that is a different kind of moisture. i was hesitant to punch holes in the enclosures, in case it is better to keep them closed to keep out rain/snow, but maybe i'll raise them a couple inches off the ground and let the airflow come in from the bottom. and keep a couple that i don't raise just to test the difference. any other thoughts are greatly appreciated.

• Rob23b
    12 years ago

Would raising it off the ground a couple inches defeat the purpose? You could try putting a hole, but with a louvered vent, downward sloping, so that rain/snow would not get in. This way the hole would be small enough to protect from temperature swings, but large enough to promote airflow. You could even make it so you could close it off on the really cold nights. Just an idea, never tried it myself. Good luck and be sure to let us know how they work out.

• luigi82
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone had fig tree cuttings that they were interested in trading?
    Luigi

• fignut
    12 years ago

The aluminum insulation is great - it keeps the temperature from fluctuating quickly. In the winter it keeps the tree warmer and in the spring it keeps it cooler.

You do need to manage moisture, but that can be done by putting a vapor barrier on the ground under the tree. Spread it out under the cover, the inner edge close to the trunk but not touching it. A garbage bag cut open along the sides will do fine. I've also used garbage bags filled with leaves piled around the tree. Just make sure the plastic isn't touching the tree.

With foil insulation and a vapor barrier, there is no need to vent the covering to give moisture an escape route. The vapor barrier keeps the moisture out. The bottom of the plastic will be wet when you remove it in the spring.

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    12 years ago

A fig tree in that enclosure will mold and die. Winterizing figs need to be enclosed in dry leaves, surrounded by either chicken wire or burlap. I use shrub jackets filled with leaves tied at the top. Shrub jackets are made of burlap which breathes. Dennis

• smdane05
    12 years ago

Luigi,
    I am about to cut down a fig tree but you are more than welcome to come and clip some before I obliterate the tree. It's on our pipe line to the sewer so I need it gone. I'm pruning my other fig tree. They are pretty old trees. Email me, Sarahmdane@gmail.com
    I am looking for any fruit tree if you you want to trade it for figs :) no biggie if you don't though since this tree is going to be cut down

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022