Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mission fig tree

Posted by 2Owles So. California (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 14:46

Where can I buy a Mission fig tree, and when is the best time to plant it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mission fig tree

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARDY-FIG-FRUIT-TREE-Black-Mission-/190768211524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6aabe644

These are very reasonable, small and grow like weeds.They will sucker bad for a couple of months. Prune to 3-4 leaders and you will get a nice tree in a few months. I did 6 this year.

o

Try:

ISON'S in Georgia. The sell "instant orchard" bearing-size trees, and the price is well worth it...no waiting for figs! Buying smaller trees will mean waiting for two-three years for fruit.

Also, sources on the West-Coast will probably have trees infected with Fig Mosaic Virus. This variety is notorious for being infected with FMV. The disease may not be a big deal for West-Coast growers, but on the East-Coast, and short, cool, seasons, it can cause the trees to fail.

Have fun. "Black Mission" is one of the best varieties, and should perform perfectly for you in California.

Good luck.

Frank

PS: I would steer clear of Ty-Ty and Willis Orchards....why?....go to "Garden Watchdog", and read the reviews. It ain't pretty.

o

PS: I would steer clear of Ty-Ty and Willis Orchards....why?....go to "Garden Watchdog", and read the reviews. It ain't pretty.
=================================
Listen to Frank he is right these two nurseries are bad news.
Black mission, I tried to get that variety but could not ans I was told petite negry produces the way and the same taste figs. I have petite negry, Conadria, celesta, brown turkey, Chicago hardy, LSU, osborn and Violet de Boedaux. I think the last one is french. The which over welming me with production is the Brown Turkey which I think it is Britich.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here