Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildforager

Got Figs on your Mind?

wildforager
13 years ago

I found these pics online and they made me smile, hope they make you smile too.

Comments (9)

• genecolin
    13 years ago

Neat-o, I guess that winter has really set in for you. It seems so strange that while you a having freezing temps and snow I sat here and ate a fig off of my Black Marsielle VS and have a BT and Adriatic thats just about ready. It will be cool this week and we are a 36 degrees this morning. I hope they still ripen.
    "gene"

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Yes thats nice thanks Wild.
    Its cold morning at 5 degree's outside and 22 degree's in garage.
    Martin

• wildforager
    Original Author
    13 years ago

brrrr, thats cold. My greenhouse is cool but almost hit 60F yesterday. I need to tone down the woodstove.

• wabikeguy
    13 years ago

70 here in the low desert today. Night temps are supposed to drop into the upper 40's. Trees are still puttin on new leaves.

I feel for you guys....

• genecolin
    13 years ago

According to my thermometer, at 7:04 this morning it his 34.3 degrees. Tomorrow it might make it to 30 if the clouds don't stream in from Texas of which there is a good chance. I move all my young trees inside because many of them still have green leaves on them. I also watered the ones I just put into the ground real good, according to the Ag man, that's suppose to help trees fight off a freeze. While watering I ran into a J.H. Adriatic that was somewhat soft and lightly colored. I figured it it got down to below freezing that it would be lost anyway so I picked it. To my surprise it was great, sweet and tasty. That was the first off of that tree. Now I can't wait until next year.
    "gene"

• wildforager
    Original Author
    13 years ago

10:55 pm its 18F and all is well...kind of. If I put any figs in the ground in 2011 I better bury them in the fall.

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Hi Wild,
    yes burying them is good option , here by me and we are similar weather wise .
    The below zero temps and the nasty winds will kill them come January. Reason i grow in pots cause there would be too many to protect but even better reason -
    just not young anymore !
    Martin

• girlbug2
    13 years ago

Zone 9 has pathetic fall colors, but there are compensations :). One doesn't have to obsess about figs until January or so--Right about now I'm appreciating the fact that 4 more Peter's Honeys are due to ripen this weekend when temps hit the low 70s. I may get lucky and get a few VdBs just in time for Xmas.

• noss
    13 years ago

We're supposed to have temps in the high 20s, Dec 12th & 13th, with a high of 48, my husband said. That's at night/early morning. I'll believe it when I feel it. Have old bedsheets ready, just in case...

Low-31, high-54, tomorrow, with showers.

noss

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions