Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persimmonbob

this forum is driving me nuts!

Monyet
13 years ago

I have been growing figs for over 15 years now. One year i got interested in new varieties so i called a fig expert and told him what i grew and my zone( hardy chicago,dessert king,magnolia and an other of unknown origin) and he told me you do not need to grow anything else. In total i have about 15 figtree's. So i never did anything else. Now i stumble upon this fig forum and the rest is history. Very informative to say the least. I grow 4 different varieties now but like to expend with two more kinds but they have to be "special". I grow asian pears,persimmon,paw-paw's,plums and a few others and these varieties is all i can handle beeing 73 years young.

Comments (11)

• noss
    13 years ago

They're coming to take you away, ha ha. They're coming to take you away, ho ho..... :)

You know--Maybe you don't NEED to grow anything else, but what if you just WANT to and can? Go for it, PB.

noss

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Your not the only one Bob. I don't live in your zone so I will only recommend one sure thing I know will do well there. No fig lover should be without a Violette De Bordeaux.

• paully22
    13 years ago

Bob -- Have you checked out "Figs4Fun" forum?? Its going nutty in that fig forum. Of the 4 different varieties which one does the best in your zone ?? and your favourite variant is ...? Enjoy the forums.

• Monyet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All my figs are doing great here in Arkansas. For jams and jellies hardy chicago is hard to beat and eating fresh. Dessert king is more for eating fresch. Magnolia has to be really ripe than they are also excellent, good for grilling too,Magnolia does not well if rainwater get in there. Hole on top it will rot! I have quite a few tree's of these 4 varieties. This past spring i cut-down most of them because they got too large.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

I love this forum people are very polite and I am getting lots of education on how to grow Figs which is my number one fruit.

• fatnsassytexan
    13 years ago

Hi PB, welcome to the forum. I havent had fruit from my small Hardy Chicago yet, so I'm glad to know they make great preserves. The Violette de Bordeaux figs are so good, fresh & preserved that it makes me want to yank my old standby Celeste and replace them with VDB(well, maybe not all of them).;-)) Tim

• Monyet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hERE IS A RECIPE FOR A FIG GLAZE FOR 4(1.5") PORKCHOPS.
    bOURBON-FIG-MUSTERD GLAZE: 3TBS UNSALTED BUTTER-2 TBS ONION-MINCED. 2 LARGE CLOVES OF GARLIC-MINCED. 1/4 C.WHOLE GRAIN MUSTERD. I/4 C.DIJON MUSTERD. 3/4 C.FIG JAM. 2 TBS MAKERS MARK BOURBON. bOURBON IS STIRRED-IN AT THE END AFTER THE MIX IS REMOVED FROM HEAT.

yOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ELSE RATHER THAN JUST EATING FRESCH FIGS AND SHARING WITH NOBODY!

• rafed
    13 years ago

PB,
    As for going "NUTS", You should feel at home now with the rest of us. WELCOME HOME!

I'm no expert but I have to agree with thisisme, The VDB is a very good choice.

Goodluck,
    Rafed

• genecolin
    13 years ago

persimmon bob that glaze sounds great. Fatandsassy, I don't think I got around telling you but that jalapeno fig preserve of yours sure hit the spot when I used it over some pork chops instead of some sweet and sour. That is some tasty stuff.
    "gene"

• fatnsassytexan
    13 years ago

Gene, glad you liked the jalapeno fig jam. I never thought about using it on pork chops.

• harvey12
    13 years ago

Persimmon Bob: I share your passion for figs, and am also interested in your other interest- pawpaws! I have been seeking seeds to plant in my yard, along with the figs. Could you please contact me at: eestes@nc.rr.com ? Thanks very much.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County