Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Root Control Bags?

Posted by loneroc1 USDA Zone 3 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 17:46

Hi all,

I've whittled down my fig collection from about 15 potted plants to my five favorites that I plan on planting in the ground in my brand new greenhouse. I want to confine the roots so the figs don't overwhelm the other potted treasures I've been gathering for this moment!

I originally thought that I might plant them in 55 gallon barrels with the bottoms cut out. Recently I was looking at some British websites and see that nurseries there recommend that figs be planted in root control bags. The root confinement is supposed to control them and encourage fruiting over rampant vegetative growth.
Here's a link to one company in the US who manufactures them: http://www.treebag.com/smart_pot_in_ground.html Can trees grow in these long term or would this just buy me a couple years of control and then I'd have to dig them up and root prune them anyway? Has anyone used these successfully? What are the pluses and minuses you've experienced?

Thanks in advance. Steve H. SW Wisconsin USA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Root Control Bags?

The header shows you are in Zone 3 and you are planning to plant in ground!
That will need some real heavy winter protection. Good luck if you are planning more than one plant in ground.
I hope you succeed because that will encourage me to plant at least one in ground in my Zone 5a.

This post was edited by ottawan_z5a on Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 19:37

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here