Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wintering problems in N. CA 9b.

Posted by NorCalNiko N.CA 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 10, 10 at 18:39

I'm starting my first winter with my first group of fig trees: Vista BM, Panache, and regular BM, all bought from Encanto farms. Two weeks ago we had five days of frost. I took the figs into my garage. This coming week, we are looking at temperatures up to 65 or so.

I'm not sure what I ought to do... my figs will do fine outside, but they're young, and I want them to go dormant. As I understand it, I'm to bring them into the garage, with as little light as possible, and keep temps below 45 or so until the last threat of frost.

Where I live, I get maybe three weeks of frost over the winter, and temps never really go below 30 or so, but will semi-frequently get over 60.

Should I move these guys outside and just let them go dormant if they can, or should I keep them inside and hope they go dormant in there?

I've searched the forum but have found only general wintering info, especially for the Northeast.

Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wintering problems in N. CA 9b.

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 11, 10 at 10:40

Leave them outdoors. Your temps won't go low enough to do them any harm. The TRUE dormant period for carica is extremely short - usually only 100-200 chill units (roughly, hours), after which time they become quiescent and capable of growth as soon as soil temperatures become more favorable (above about 45*).

Al

o

In your climate figs can be left outside during the winter months. If there were a night when it would be getting really cold. Say into the low twenties or lower then you might think about bringing a potted fig in or covering it to protect it.

Growing figs in a pot is a pain. For the most part people do it only if they are renting or think they may be moving in a year or two or if they live in a climate that freezes during the winter months. I've lived in Petaluma, Novato and Rohnert Park and figs are grown in the ground without protection. In fact unless you live on a high mountain figs can be grown in the ground and left unprotected nearly anywhere in Ca.

o

• Posted by gorgi z6b NJ (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 11, 10 at 18:17

Zone 9b in CA - that must be a fig-heaven to me!
... Do nothing (for cold) ...

o

Figs grow in-ground where I live...between zone 7 and 8.

Josh

o

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. I'll take them out tonight.

o

Josh
Where do you live? City or state.

o

In the Sierra Nevada foothills, between Auburn and Colfax (California).
Sorry about that....usually my region and zone would show, but GardenWeb has,
as we all know, been having significant technical errors.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here