Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael__ames

Too dark, too wet, or too cold?

michael_ames
12 years ago

The older leaves on my potted fig are turning pale and limp and have started falling off the tree. New leaves continue to appear and seem unaffected (for now). Even though I'm in Southern California, it is getting colder at night (mid 40's) and I thought perhaps this symptom is related to the season - but I wanted to get a more expert opinion.

Brief background:

The fig is my first (a gift from a friend) and it probably a few years old (about 4-5ft tall, but spindly.) I've kept it in the pot it arrived in, which I believe is sufficient for now (plus I've heard figs like to be a little root-bound). The soil is a dark, sandy mix that seems a good balance of moisture retention and drainage. I originally had it in my south-east facing yard, but it seemed a little scorched by all the sun and so it was moved to the back of the house (facing northwest) where it gets indirect sun most of the day, direct sun for 1-3 hours. It seemed happy here until recently, which made me think the cooler temps and shorter days are the cause of current problems.

Here are some photos of the mature leaves that are yellowing and dropping, as well as the younger green leaves which continue to grow and sprout.

{{gwi:844543}}Fig leaves
From that evidence, can you tell what I'm doing wrong? I thought it could be some/all of the following:

-rust or fungus

-too-wet soil (I water infrequently but the base of the pot is mostly shaded)

-not enough sunlight hours

-colder temps

I initially thought nitrogen deficiency and therefore fertilized; this prompted new leaf growth but did nothing to help the existing mature leaves.

Alternatively I suppose it could be nothing to worry about (since it is only older, damaged leaves that are dropping) but I wanted to check before anything worsened.

Thanks!

Comments (3)