Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snaglpus

Question for Jose - Loslunasfarms

Hello Jose, I have a question for you. Can you post how you start your cuttings when you bury the whole cutting? Do you bury the cutting with the tip sticking up or do you completely cover the cutting? Where do you place them? Please post some picture if you can. thank you in advance,

Dennis

CHarlotte/NC/7b

Comments (5)

• loslunasfarms
    13 years ago

Snagl,

I dont have any pictures yet, but for me I have had 100% success with this method. The secret lies in the potting soil mix. I no longer use the papertowel method..

Can you post how you start your cuttings when you bury the whole cutting?
    Yes

Do you bury the cutting with the tip sticking up or do you completely cover the cutting?
    I usually leave the tip showing if burring the cutting vertically otherwise when putting in the cutting horizontally cover the whole cutting.

Where do you place them?
    Partial (2-4hrs sunlight/day), indirect sunlight there after.

1. Get you favorite potting soil (mine is UPM).

2. Mix it to a 50% Perlite, 50% potting soil.

3.Stick in cuttings if in pot full of this mix so the are parallel with side. If you have a long skinny flower pot, put down a good layer of potting soil mix then cover cuttings with approx .5 inch of soil.I used this method for the pics seen below.

4. Water well.

5. The mix should drain very well and the baby cuttings should show growth in approx 4-8 weeks.

6. I have rooted logs using this method. See below. Let me know if you have any questions.

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Jose! I remember your pictures now. Beautiful family you have there! Thank you for the reply. I've been a good boy this year and Christmas came early giving me a few cuttings to root. Special thanks to friends from this forum, I have 1 or 2 cuttings from certain varities and I want to try to get close to 100 percent propagation from these. So, I think if I plant the entire cuttting in 50/50 UPM/perilte. I think I may have better numbers. I do not use the baggie method. I tried it last year and had more mold than a mushroom! I always go from fridge to container now. I plan on trying Jon new 3 MIL plastic bag method also and see how it works. I ordered the 12 inch bags because some of my cuttings are longer than 8 inches and some are longer than 10. So, if I get the 12 inch bags, I can cut them if I need too.

Last week, I started 2 test cuttings. Both are about 3 or 4 inches long, 2 node tip cuttings. I used 2 plastic food containers....poked a few holes in them and placed them in my office. One is Late Black and one is Kathleen Black. The cuttings are small but I am hoping they will root. I'll post some pictures tonight. I am guessing they will root in about 6 weeks. Time will tell. I also went to Wal mart and got 4 plastic shoe boxed. I plan on poking holes in these too and only put one cultivar in each box. My goal is if I plant the cutting hortizontal, when they root, I may get more than one tree! So, my theory and plan is to plant my special cutting hortiontal and if I get 2 trees, after a good root system cut the cutting in half and pot up the trees. Thanks, Dennis

• jimmieldavis
    13 years ago

Dennis,

Burying the cutting works VERY well. My most recent experience started in September; I wanted to observe rooting a green not-dormant cuttings.

I halved a six inch six-noded cutting into two three inch three-noded cuttings. To plant, I three-quarters filled two one-gallon pots, horizontally placed one cutting per pot, covered each cutting with about 1" of mix, moistened, covered each pot with cling wrap for the greenhouse effect, placed out of direct sunlight, watered infrequently, and six weeks later, I had one shoot per pot.

Shoots are now about 8" tall, still green, but growing slowly because of the weather.

Good luck.

JD

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello JD,did you use any plant hormone? I am trying to decide whether to plant a 8 inch cutting hortizontal, and when it roots, cut it depending on the number of nodes that take or cut them up first then plant hortizonal. I'm going to start some cuttings next week and I want to start all hortional. I've never tried it. Back in Feb when I started a few cutting in clear plastic bottles, some nodes leafed out at the middle of my cups and the top. Dennis

• jimmieldavis
    13 years ago

Dennis,

No rooting hormone. Go for it! The worse you do is learn something and have a good time learning it.

JD

FYI. I root exclusively with sphagnum.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz